For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter

Thursday morning Selim said to me, "Mom, you know what I want for Easter?  A golden egg."

I had not know that.  I think it stems from his disappointment that in last year's basket there was nary a golden egg to be found.  I had not thought much about Easter this year.  It is March, and not really on my radar.  To be honest, not much more than work and trying to make it through this month's assignment has been at the forefront of my mind recently.  My house is a mess... we've eaten take out both Friday and Saturday...I'm exhausted.  Anyway, communicating with the Easter Bunny on Thursday was suddenly pushed to the front of my to do list.

Yesterday, while I was sprawled on a beach towel in my front walk way, eyes closed but not sleeping, just resting, trying to absorb as much vitamin D as I could -- Selim was inside drawing a note for the Easter Bunny.



I love his drawings.  And the map.  A boy after my own heart and clearly related.  Director that he is, he had scripted a whole scenario for the event.  At night he put the note on the kitchen table along with carrots and a tea cup of water.  He requested that the Easter Bunny leave the golden egg under his bed. The other eggs could be put anywhere in the house, but the E.B. had to leave a red X on the map in each room where Selim should look.  When that task was complete, the said bunny should sign his name, eat his snack, and leave.



Imagine his surprise when the Easter Bunny did pretty much what he requested.  The only hick up, was a red X on the map that wasn't a room.  In his haste, E.B put a red X on a wall, not in one of the rooms.  Selim was quite perplexed.  I'm trying my best excuses -- he was late...it was dark...he didn't really look at the map... he had many more houses to go to so he was rushing...but it still bothered Selim.  How could he have put an X on the mark that was a wall?  Hopefully the Lego figures and other candy made up for the poor map skills.



I decided to paint my toe nails this morning to be festive.  I was taking a picture of my feet when Selim came up behind my and put his feet in between mine.  He had put a flower sticker on his big toe since he didn't have any polish.




This afternoon all three of us got out in the garden.  We took off the black plastic from the main garden area.  Nedim raked up the pine needles.  I cleaned out the raised beds and took out some of the dead grass around the edges.  Selim wanted whatever tool was in use by somebody else.  We had fun and it felt good to get dirt under my finger nails.  I'm thinking that I could plant peas pretty soon.






And lastly, I've been taking pictures of the amaryllis this week.  Mine isn't nearly the profusion of blooms that Mom and Robert have.  But today, all four flowers were open and I love the white.








No comments:

Post a Comment