For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Back home

Back home.  Back to reality.  I was scheduled for overtime coverage yesterday.  I had the second time slot of 11:30 am to 5:30 pm.  On the one hand it was good to go in and see all the work from the previous week that was waiting for me.  Yet, it was a beautiful afternoon and I would have had more fun being in the garden.  At least I was able to plow through 1/2 of the back log of review boxes and get some audits done in between moving work from the 4th floor to the 1st.  I am better prepared for the week, having had those six hours.

In the garden department, my daffodils are still blooming.  My favorite, the white exterior and peach interior, opened up while I was away.  I know I planted more than one of those, but only one has flowered.





And I don't know what is up with the tulips this year.  I've got lots of big green leaves, but only one flower that is about to pop any day now.



I watered the quince and I hope that will encourage these clusters to open up.




I need to take out some of the dead sections of this plant.  I like how it has spread out from such a small original planting.




The rhubarb came back!



I need to start the tomato seeds that I ordered this week.  Since I can't put the plants in the ground for another four weeks, there is still time for me to get them started.  I need to buy a couple more bags of good soil.  Then I can plant a few kale seeds directly in the ground now.  And I should look at the spinach and find out it I need to start that in a starter flat or if it is hearty enough to go straight into the ground.

I've been unpacking from our few days away.  I unwrapped my mugs and silverware from Fishs Eddy, and my saucers from Kalustyans.  I love having kitchen souvenirs.



But today I need to focus on laundry and making dinner.  Tomorrow I can stop at Agway on my way back from the market and spend time outside before nap and work.  This is going to be a tough week.  I've got closing duties and we are open until 2:00 am.  I don't anticipate getting home much before 2:45 am.  Ugh.  At least I'm coming at this week feeling rested and energized.  I'm going to need every extra hour of sleep that I banked last week!

No comments:

Post a Comment