For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year

I spent a couple of hours today on Hermit Lake, watching my boy using ice skates for the first time in two years.  He had a hockey stick that he used to help his balance and a helmet on just in case.  The ice was thick enough so that I wasn't anxious.  I was the only one on the ice in my boots.  There was a thin layer of sleet on top of the frozen lake that made the ice not too slippery.  It was just beautiful.  We saw a beaver dam in a bog, fox and duck tracks on the ice and lichens clinging to old trees.  Winter wonderland.

I won't be attending any end of year party.  Instead, I will be fast asleep long before midnight.  And that is just fine with me.  I have so much to be grateful for this year and I'm looking forward to 2012 with optimism.  I anticipate a year of good health, great family time, challenging work, and enjoying the rhythms of regular life.  So good bye 2011 and bring it on, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment