For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Our Nation's Capitol

The last time I was in DC was the spring of 1987 when I came down on a bus from Mt. Holyoke and took part in a demonstration on the Mall to get the US to divest from South Africa to encourage the end of Apartheid.  Otherwise, the only other time I had been to any monuments was the summer of 1975.

I tried not to get impatient today when I fell behind a crowd of slow movers.  Deep breaths, no rush.  This was my relaxed day.  I didn't have a set itinerary; I went where I wanted to. 

The first stop on the DC side of river was the Foggy Bottom metro stop.  I did a dry run of finding my way to one of the State buildings. Good thing I did.  I got turned around and walked towards Main State when I got to E street, but that was not the right direction.  I was supposed to have turned the other way.  I backtracked and finally found it.  There was a nice employee going into the building who asked me if I was lost.  Nothing like a map to give me away.  I explained that I had a Tuesday meeting and he went over the protocol for getting into the building.  Then he pointed me in the direction of the Kennedy Center.

One tip I learned today, the buildings and museums don't open until 10:00.  If you show up at 9:30 you don't get to look around.  I decided to take the tour of the Kennedy Center.  It went on longer than I wanted it to, although I was trying to live in the moment and not get antsy.  But I wanted to get on with things and walk more quickly.  However, I did have fun sitting in the theater that I see every year on TV when I watch the Kennedy Center Honors.  It is smaller in real life.  The donated art work from various countries is really impressive, especially the woven tapestries from Mexico and the Waterford crystal chandeliers from Ireland.  From the top terrace there is a 360 panoramic view.  The tour guide pointed out Georgetown, the National Cathedral, the tall tower by the Marine Corps Monument in Arlington, and the Air Force Memorial by the Pentagon.  I also liked all the chandeliers and the Hall of Nations.

From there I walked along the Potomac to the Lincoln Memorial.  The Reflecting Pool is torn up and isn't such a pretty place for reflection.  Next up was the Vietnam Memorial.  At first I was more moved by the families there who had found their loved ones names on the wall.  But, by the end the volume of names became overwhelming in their simplicity and stark relief from the black granite panels.  I couldn't help but be moved.

I followed the path past the Constitution Gardens.  Lots of geese taking baths.  And then it was the World War II Memorial.  The water from the fountains created a cooling air mass and I joined the hundreds of others and took off my shoes and stuck my feet in the fountain base.  Sitting there I had a clear view of the Lincoln Memorial and when I turned around, the Washington Monument was right there.  I walked passed the Washington Monument, but didn't get up to the base.

As I passed by the National Museum of American History,  I bought a bottle of Gatorade and contemplated my map.  I decided to head back to the hotel.  As I walked towards the metro, I passed an advertisement with a picture of Michelle Obama's inauguration dress.  That got my attention.  I walked around to the front of the building, threw out my empty bottle and entered.   One nice feature of free museums is there isn't the pressure to take in the whole place to get your money's worth.  Instead you can pay a donation and move on.  The exhibit was great.  There is a wall of sketched of the inaugural dresses that is really fun.  I loved the flapper dress of First Lady Coolidge.  One room has the inaugural ball dresses from Lady Bird Johnson to Michelle Obama.  There is another room with dresses and other items from Martha Washington and others.  There is a dress of First Lady Helen Taft that is gorgeous.  All through the exhibit I kept wishing my female family members were there with me.  Don't think Selim or Nedim would have appreciated the dresses as much as my sister would have.

By then my feet had had enough.  I picked up the metro at the Smithsonian stop and rode the blue line back to Crystal City.  I didn't have to wait long for the hotel shuttle.  By 4:00 I was back in my room and sound asleep at 4:30.  I woke up hungry, yet refreshed at 6:00. 

So I'm thinking tomorrow I might hike Embassy Row or the area around the Capitol.  Hopefully the humidity will be low(ish) tomorrow like it was today.

1 comment:

  1. Wah--wish I had been there for the dresses too! Glad you're getting a chance to look around.

    xxoo
    H

    ReplyDelete