For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Last night in DC

Last night after class I ate left over Thai food and worked on the year end evaluations for my team.  It wasn't how I wanted to really spend my time, but for my stress level and peace of mind,  I had to make headway during this trip.  I had success, drafting five out of the seven.

So today, I was free to explore a new area of the city.  Susanne came with me and we rode the Metro from Rosslyn to L'Enfant Plaza.



There we caught the green line up to Columbia Heights.



From the Metro, the vegan bakery Sticky Fingers was only a block or so headed north.  It was very easy to find.  I felt a bit like a groupie.  One nice discovery -- the cafe served not just sweets, but meals.  Both of us were hungry for dinner.  I got a burger with avocado and Susanne got a sandwich.





We bought our bakery treats to go. It was so hard making a decision.  In the end, I opted for the carrot cake, vanilla with coconut and chocolate with peanut butter frosting.  I have yet to have real success with vegan frosting, but theirs makes me want to try harder.  The peanut butter frosting was so light and fluffy, not the greasy, oily, icky stuff that I have made when I've tried to go without butter and/or cream cheese.






Instead of getting back on the metro, we decided to take the Circulator.  We rode the green line down to 14th and K street.  We hopped off that bus and switched over to the one that went to Georgetown.  Traffic was pretty bad and it took us awhile to get to M street and Wisconsin.

Our goal this time -- shopping at Athleta.  She had gone last night while I wrote evaluations.  They have a sale room and that is where we went tonight.  It was so fun shopping with a girlfriend who will tell you how it is.  Some of the dresses were too huggy and not flattering.  But there were a few things that were really cute.  In the end, I had to weed out a few items.  I couldn't justify spending all that money on clothes, even at 30% off.  One thing I did get that my hubby will be happy to see, a pair of running tights that have a little built in skirt.  He is forever asking me if I am really going out running in just my spandex tights without something more covering my tush.  I say yes and get out the door quickly before we can argue.  I hope he is happy with the new togs.



I can't wait to go home tomorrow.  I am so ready to do more than face time with my guys.  I need to hug, kiss, smell, and hold them.  As professionally beneficial as a week away can be, it is really hard to be away from the family.  I miss them.

No comments:

Post a Comment