For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Snowshoe adventure

Selim and I went on a great snowshoe adventure today.  We drove out to Adam's Point on Great Bay to begin our trek.  As usual, when the drive takes longer than expected, he starts to question whether or not I know where I am going.  I tease him about having so little faith in me.  Today was no different.  Both of us were relieved to see the sign and the parking spaces at the UNH facility.




There was a group of six adults just getting on their snowshoes as we pulled in.  It took a little time for our groups to get separated.  We got off the trail and went to look at the ducks and geese in the Bay and that helped but us behind and not right on the heals of the other group.







The wind was blowing a bit and the temperature was in the twenties.  Cold.  We dressed in layers and enjoyed romping around, looking at the tracks, listening to the birds, and feeling the sun on our faces.  We didn't force the pace in order to finish the activity and get home.  I took some pictures, not a big surprise.  And most of the time, Selim didn't mind too much.

All along the trail, there were benches made out of different material.  I really liked the rock bench,



and the wooden one.



We noticed animal prints.  Selim said I should take a picture of one in particular.  He suggested it was from a bobcat.  I thought a big dog was more likely.



As we climbed the last hill, Selim started running and throwing his poles into the snow.  He proposed a new Olympic event -- snowshoe and javelin.  If skiing and rifle shooting are an event, why not snowshoeing and pole throwing?  Sounded good to me.



At the top of the hill, Selim enjoyed the coolness of the snow and the chance to get horizontal.  I assumed his eyes were closed and that I could snap one more picture of him.  But I heard this, "Mom, I know what you are doing."  His ears were working overtime.





It was a great day.  As we got in the car, he said it was one of our best adventures...ever.  What a compliment!



No comments:

Post a Comment