For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Busy, busy

Friday, all three of the town's third grade classes met for Immigration Day.  I knew that my Lovey Lamb was nervous, but I didn't get how so until Mom said on Wednesday that he was scared.  After hearing that, we spent the next day and a half reassuring him that he would be fine and that the event might actually be fun.  Earlier in the year, he has studied Turkey for his Country Report.  For Immigration Day, he chose to honor one of my sides of the family and pretend he was coming from Ireland.  I am well aware of the differences between Ireland and Northern Ireland, but I wasn't going to quibble when a friend gave him the hat.




Friday morning, he was dressed and ready to go.  In his pillow case "ruck sack" he carried a book, photo of his family, a rock from the backyard, and a penny whistle.  I gave him big hugs at the bus and told him that I was proud of him overcoming his anxiety.

All morning I thought of him.  I did my own form of prayer.  My mind focused on him and I couldn't nap.  When the clock passed noon, I exhaled, knowing that the even had ended.  I went to work and tried concentrating on the tasks at hand.  At 4:00, I called home and heard the most excited and relieved voice.  He had had a great time and all was well in his world.

Saturday we gardened.  We planted lettuce and carrots from seeds.  He put in the ground the rest of the herbs and kale.  And then we watered and watered.  And played with the hose.






Sunday I managed to wake up when the alarm went off at 5:00am and went in to the office at 6:00 for 3 hours of OT.  Energized when I got home, I tackled putting away winter clothes and organizing summer ones.  I have a big bag for Goodwill.  I had wanted to stay at home and work on more cleaning, but I had to put in a command performance at a gathering in North Hampton.  Nedim was giving an orientation to some people who are going to Turkey in August and he wanted me to be there.

We drove separately and I got there a few minutes after my guys.  The house was a gorgeous old New England home.  Looking at the house, I couldn't figure out which door I should try.  The big door at the front didn't look well used.  The path to the left ended by a rock wall.  The path that boarded the driveway led to another entrance and a side building.  I stood there in the driveway and started to cry.  It felt like the worst thing ever.  Not only do I hate walking in to a room where I don't know anybody, but to enter through the wrong door would be socially so awkward.  I had cake in one had and my cell phone in the other, only to find that I couldn't get any service.  I was going to call Nedim and tell him to meet me and bring me inside.  No luck.  I opted for the pathway by the driveway, took a deep breath, and knocked.

I chose the right one.  Everybody was very friendly and in no time I had been offered a drink and food.  Selim was eager to test the pool water and the lure of the hot tub could not keep him out of the back yard.  I went out to the back with him and spent the next two hours taking pictures of the gorgeous flowers that lined the pool and the fun garden sculptures.









And of course, Selim.






By the end of the afternoon, Selim was executing flips off the diving board and having the best time.





At 5:30, I dragged him away, knowing that I still had laundry to fold and a kitchen to clean before bed.  All in all, it was a busy, busy couple of days.  Oh, and Nedim's presentation went well.


No comments:

Post a Comment