For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Boat quilts

I started making two boat quilts for Nedim over the long Thanksgiving weekend.  I finished binding the second one today.  That is a pretty good turn around for me -- less than a year, start to finish.  I was going to make one, but it turns out that I had so much leftover fabric, that I ended up making two.

My mission today -- take half-way decent photographs of them so that Nedim could take them to the boat.  I have been reading on line about the best way to photograph quilts and came across a way that I thought might work.  I took two clothes hangars and Nedim found a ladder, and we used the gutters as the hanging place.  If I had better hangars, it would have been easier.  But we did manage to have them stay up long enough for me to take a few shots.




I think for the bigger, queen size quilts, I may look into having a professional photographer take some pictures.  I would love to have a record of good quality for the bed quilts that I have made, before they get too well loved.

I was in Portsmouth Fabric on Friday afternoon, buying binding fabric for the quilt that originated out of a fabric square that I found in Kew Gardens in the summer of 2011 when I was working in London.  I bought yardage for either a green or blue binding.  I was too tired to make a confident decision so I purchased both colors.  I also have leftover pink in two shades.  I'll have to put the quilt on a bed and drape the fabric yardage around to help me figure it out.  I set up the blocks so that the color moves from blue to red on the diagonal.  There are blocks also have green, yellow, and purple, in varying amounts.  The boarder fabric has blue, red, pink, and green.  For me, I can't decide which color binds the whole thing together the best.  I'm sure it will come to me.







It is odd, but after I bind that quilt, I only have one other going.  I often have a couple in various stages of completion or have bought fabric to start the next project.  And now, I have my sunset colors in the birdbath pattern, and that is it.  I don't even have my next project picked out or have an idea for another.  It feels odd not to have multiple projects in the pipeline.

No comments:

Post a Comment