For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Vacation Recap - Sunsets

We got back Sunday evening after a week on Wellesley Island in the St. Lawrence River.  The drive home included miles of stop and go traffic on the Mass. Pike. Not muck fun.  But the tan on my arms and legs reminds me that I had a great week that included lots of swimming, baking, family visiting, ice cream, and sunset watching. I also took an hour lesson in Tai Chi and in quieter moments, worked on two embroidery projects.  I tried to stay away from the TV, radio, newspaper so that I could forget, for a few moments, the political drama that unfolds in an uglier and uglier way, every day.

Rather than do a daily blow by blow, I'm going to post pictures in a more thematic way.  Today's photo session is the sunset watch.  Every night, no matter how we spent the day, we would gather down at Doug and Sue's dock to watch the sunset.  In total, there were 20 members of the extended Schongalla clan.  Some nights we would eat dinner all as a group, or maybe just dessert.  We might have spent the day in small group kayak adventuring, long bike rides, or hikes, cove swimming, or just relaxing.  Around 8:00, we would be drawn to the water's edge to watch the sun go down.

Here are some of my favorites:

One of my favorite weather vanes

Not happy about the forced march to the dock to watch the sun go down

Heather and our boys

Sun dipping down

Sunset canoe and fishing experience

The color show begins

Relaxing and conversing

Picture viewing in the low light

The docks in soft light

Pink kayak

 I wasn't the only one taking pictures.

My nephew loved photo-bombing

All together, including the dogs

Group view

Clouds and colors

Loving the pink and gray combo

Can't quite capture the pink and violet reflection on the river

 I feel more relaxed just looking at these!  That hour between 8:00 and 9:00pm was a daily favorite.  Brings me back to Laguna when I was little and sunset watching over the ocean was a frequent activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment