For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

March Madness and bulbs

I think I'm in a funk. I'm finding it hard to do regular stuff.  And I don't think it was because I went in to work at 5:00am to do some OT.  All I want to do is curl up in bed. I don't know what is going on exactly.  Lethargic is not how I would usually describe myself, but it seems to be what fits right now.

In the real world, Geraldine Ferraro died yesterday.  We didn't have a TV when she was put on the ticket.  But I do remember her running and what a big deal it was.  It is amazing that it took so long for another woman to be on the presidential ticket.  (And please, next time let's make sure the woman is qualified.  Sarah Palin might have been a good governor, but she was not ready to be president.)  During the last election I was reminded of the time in history when the abolitionist movement and suffrage were competing for attention in Washington.  Having Hilary run against Obama for the top billing on the Democrat side of the ballot seemed like a parallel tension.  I hope it won't take another 20+ years before we have another serious woman contender. 

The top story of the weekend is NCAA March Madness tournament.  Butler upset Florida and UConn edged Arizona for their tickets to the Final Four next weekend.  Selim and I shot some hoops this afternoon.  He found the net much more frequently than he did last fall.  I need to get my bike tuned up so we can ride around the neighborhood.  I am in desperate need of exercise.

And in the bulb news, the white crocuses have opened under the sunny skies today.
So last night I was lazy and we ordered Thai.  I have to do better than that tonight.  I'm thinking of spaghetti with a white sauce and breaded seitan with a green salad.  I've got good bread as well.  And I want to make date squares.  I found a fool-proof recipe that is quick and easy.  They don't have a crumb topping that is messy and they stay fresh for days.  A win-win combo in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment