For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fools

We did indeed get 5" of snow last night and through this morning.  The office was quiet.  I was there with another TDYer and our Regional Director.  That was it.  I'm glad I went into the office even though at 4:30 I really wanted to turn off the alarm and get back under the covers.

I've been thinking about Grammy B ever since we heard on Wednesday that she is in the hospital.  At 93 she is still a remarkable woman.  Twenty years ago I started watching golf on TV so that we would have something in common.  She liked Greg Norman and I chose Fred Couples to follow.  When Freddie (her nickname) won, she would send me the newspaper clipping of his victory.  She also kept record of Greg's wins.  At one point before she moved, she threw out her folder of clippings because she didn't want anybody to find it and think she was a stalker.  As if...She is in the hospital because she has been falling a lot.  But she didn't want to be a bother anyone in the living facility so she didn't tell a nurse.  The other night she fell and wasn't found for hours.  When Mom spoke with her yesterday she said it has been "rough."  She never complains, even when she is entitled.  I have always known that I can learn a great deal from her example.

So right now I'm sitting on my bed watching the Shell Houston Open in honor of Grammy.  Freddie just made a birdie and I'm sure if she knew, she would smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment