For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween / Boston Strong

Happy Halloween.  Most towns celebrate on Halloween on October 31.  However, out town does not. We had our day yesterday.  Here is the recap.

Halloween is not my favorite day.  It never has been.  There are pictures of me when I was little, wearing a costume, crying, and standing next to my beaming sister.  She was in her element and I was not.  Reflecting, what could be worse for an extreme introvert than knocking on strangers' doors and asking for candy.  Nightmare!

When I was pregnant with Selim I was out in California with Heather and we were in a craft store.  I remember a wave of uncertainty and panic washing over me as I realized that I was going to be a parent and responsible for dressing up my child in costume.  I wanted to cry.  I was never going to be as creative and eager for the parades and parties as my older sister.  What I have learned since that afternoon is that I can take Selim to the costume aisle in a big box store and he can debate the merits of Superman versus Iron man or a ninja versus a pirate.  He is happy to pick one and for less than $20.  He gets what he wants and I get to not worry about how to make a costume for him.  That is money well spent, in my opinion.

And because he wanted to have a wide selection to choose from, we got his costume at the end of September.  During the week prior, the school had a "pirate day."  It was a hit and he decided that he would be a pirate.

Yesterday morning as he was getting ready for school he asked me if I was going to school to be at the parade and join the party in his classroom.  I just looked at him, forgetting that the festivities at school would be the same day that the town trick or treats.  I hadn't checked my email in a few days and I had missed the call for treats and the afternoon school schedule.  Mommy fail.  Good thing I had already put in a leave slip for the first half of my shift.  Before he got on the bus I told him that I would be at the parade and that I would check my email to find out when I should show up.

The classroom party was at 1:30 and the parade at 2:00.  I walked into the classroom just as they were gathering for their group photo.  Perfect timing.  Mom was with me and we were able to hang out while the kids ate their treats and got ready for the parade.  Some of the costumes were very elaborate.  It was fun to see them all dressed up.




In the evening, before Selim went candy gathering, I made him pose for pictures.  He is getting less and less eager to be in front of the camera.  He was patient with me, even though he really wanted to get outside and get the action started.






The other big event of the day was Game 6 of the Wold Series.  Boston was up three games to two against the St. Louis Cardinals.  I don't know why I didn't take the whole dang day off so that I could watch the game, but I didn't.  So I went to work at 8:00, just as the game was starting.  Every now and then I would walk past the break room to see the score.  I missed the Sox getting six runs.  Around 11:00, it was the bottom of the eighth inning and many of us started gathering in front of the TV in the lunch room.  At the top of the ninth, the room started filling up.  We clapped at the first out and more people came in.  After the second, people started whooping it up and more people came in the room. When Uehara got the final out, the room was full and we were all screaming and clapping.

That was so different from the final out of the World Series in 2004.  That year it was Red Sox versus Cardinals as well.  Mom and I were at David's House in Hanover.  Selim was in the NICU.  I was asleep on the couch in the living room.  The house was quiet.  Mom woke me up at the top of the ninth inning, knowing that I would want to see the end of the game.  The Red Sox hadn't won a World Series since 1918 and history was about to me made.  Boston did win and I remember dragging myself to the bedroom and falling right back to sleep.  I have always associated Boston's win with Selim's improving; those two events are intertwined in my mind.

For Boston, this series was all about "Boston Strong."  It was just this April that the two homemade bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon.  Who will forget Big Papi's address over the PA system a few days later that had a few expletives sprinkled in.  The city, the team, was an unbreakable unit.  I think it was Victorino, who closed his post-game interview with "Boston Strong!" And that is what brought tears to my eyes.

Last night, instead of watching and cheering in virtual silence, I was among my colleagues, whooping it up.  It was festive, fun, and satisfying.  Hopefully, all the Sox players on on their way to a barber shop today to shave off their hideous beards.  I understand rally caps and playoff bears, but the facial hair on those players was over the top and so icky.  The parade is scheduled for Saturday.  Wouldn't it be fun if they had clean faces by then?

No comments:

Post a Comment