For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Blizzard of 2015

We have survived the blizzard of 2015, pretty easily, in fact.  The local new station said our town received 28 inches of snow.  That makes up for the lack of snow for the past two months.  Anyway, we maintained power and heat.  Our snow blower didn't break down.  The shovels I bought in anticipation of the event worked well.  It turned out to be 2 days of no office work and no school and plenty of together time.

Monday after work I stopped by our local hardware store and bought 2 shovels and another flashlight, just in case.  I picked up Thai food as a treat.  After getting my lovey lamb off of the school bus, I got into my cozy clothes and gathered all the laundry in the house and pushed it through the washer and dryer.  I ran the dishwasher.  I made sure everybody bathed, just in case.  We knew before going to bed that everything would be closed on Tuesday and we would be home.

The snow and wind started in the late afternoon.  We kept the heat higher than usual when we went to bed, just in case the power did go out and we lost the ability to have a functioning furnace.  I woke up at some point in the night because the sound of the wind was super loud.  Waking up at 7:00, I was surprised that we had maintained power.  There was some snow, but it was hard to tell how much because of the wind and the drifts.

We got out to test out the new shovels around 10:00.  The fierceness of the wind made it not super fun to be out.  But the excuse for popcorn and hot chocolate after, made the outside time worth while.



Around 4:00, we went out again.  This time the town plow had been by and my hubby had made the first pass with the snow blower.  The piles of snow were getting larger and more impressive.




The I don't have school tomorrow dance.




We went to bed knowing that the local school district had closed school for Wednesday.  I didn't check the weather board at work because I didn't want to be disappointed, if I had to go in.  I woke up before my 4:15 alarm and called in to work to find that 1st shift had another day off.  Woot!  Back to bed.

Today the sun came out and we spent a good part of our morning outside, shoveling the edges of the driveway and clearing off my car.







Nedim went to help some friends clear out their driveways.  Then he came home to tackle the roof.




Taking a break


I'm glad I didn't see our child jump from the roof into the snow.

Mom, I'm stuck!


And then we went sledding.  Well, the boys went down on sleds.  I stayed at the top and documented.






Tomorrow will be back to regular life.  I've enjoyed these two extra days of togetherness.



No comments:

Post a Comment