For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Holiday Recap

This has been an odd few weeks.  I had a really hard time with the holiday season this year.  I didn't have much energy and felt really blue.  One of the triggers was Selim's Christmas wish list.  On it were the two things I didn't want to get him: Nerf guns and a computer.  I've reached my limit with the guns that he has, even though they are fake.  December marked the second anniversary of the Sandy Hook school shooting, the Ferguson and NYC grand jury verdicts, and then there was that horrific, terrorist attack on the school in Peshawar.  I could not make myself buy Selim another gun or more ammunition for his existing collection.  And then he wanted a computer.  To me, he spends enough time in front of an electronic device and he doesn't need another one.  So I didn't know what to get him that he would enjoy.  And since we were trying to be frugal this year because of some things we want in 2015, I couldn't see a happy Christmas for him.  And I've been sick.  I've had this lingering cold and cough which has led to flagging energy.  Not the best combination.

Christmas ended up being very sweet.  We managed to get Selim things that he enjoyed with the bigger present to come in the spring when we get him a new bike.  Heather and family came up and Nedim ended up spending the night as well, which made for a cozy house hold.  Still, I felt out of sorts and totally out of character, I barely took any pictures (by my standards).  I did get one of the Selim's stocking and his new friend.



And I took a few more when we went on a nature walk.

Don't tell, I've got a snowball.


Waiting for the right moment to make the throw.

Seeing if the beavers ate the treats left the day before.

JT's turn with the binocs.

Sisters

Finding a moth cocoon.

Excavating mouse tunnels.

Shadow play.



I got a couple of us ladies.

Heather and Mom

The three ladies


But otherwise, the camera stayed in my bag.  We spent the weekend after Christmas at the Ashram and enjoyed all the visiting and awesome meals that happens when Heather is home.  She headed back to NY on Monday and Selim and I went home on Tuesday via Hermit Lake and a quick skating adventure for Selim and then Meredith for a much needed hair trim for me.

Putting on skates

Best ice ever for the kids.


Wednesday, I stayed in bed with flu-like symptoms.  I hunkered down on the couch or a bed until this morning when I felt better.  Around noon, I got fully dressed for the first time since Tuesday.  I updated my checkbook which had been stuffed with receipts and a list of checks that I had written since November.  While my final figure didn't totally balance with my bank statement, it was close enough for me not to worry.  And I got in the car and drove down to Portsmouth to run a few errands with Selim.  This was the most productive day of my vacation.  That leaves tomorrow to do a bit of house stuff before returning to work on Monday.  I think I needed this 12 day vacation.

In other news, Nedim is giving quitting smoking another go.  This time he seems more serious about it.  He has been staying home, avoiding his usual triggers.  And he is cranky.  I'm happy that he hasn't smoked in three days, but I can't wait for this moody phase to pass.

And I got the most unexpected piece of mail today.  Aunt Mary had been looking for something in one of her special boxes and came across my birth announcement.  How sweet is that!  I've never seen it before.  I don't think I've ever seen my birth certificate either.  Obviously I have one...but any time that I would have used one for a job to prove my citizenship, I've used my passport.  To have this piece of my past is very special.

My sister's affinity for paper art started at an early age.

"Search for Peace" stamp


I think "Search for Peace" would be a great motto for 2015.  We need some shift in the world.  It seems like there has been so much violence and expressions of hatred and intolerance lately.  It has been hard for me to write about my mundane life and post pictures of normal day to day activity in the face of such extreme sorrow from so many corners of our world.  I'm praying for a greater realization that all us are children of God and that violence against one is violence against Him. May I remember to be more loving, kind, accepting, gentle, and centered in Him this New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment