For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, October 27, 2014

Hyannis odds and ends

Last night I was trying to write and upload the photos really quickly so that I could get to the regular end of evening routine.  At first, Selim was helping me chose the pictures.  We had different opinions on which ones to post.  I liked the close up of his face with the Wampanoag statue's moccasin  foot.  He didn't, so my I went with this choice last night.  Today, I get to put up mine.



Speaking of feet, I took a couple more that he vetoed.  "Mom, not everybody likes to look at feet like you do."  Oh well.  I can put up two.  The JFK statue.




Or three.  It is a new polish for me.



I still took too long writing last night and trying to come up with some coherent post.  As it was, Selim fell asleep on the couch with one leg on my lap, waiting for a rub as I was closing up the computer.

There were a couple other pictures that I had wanted to add last night but just didn't have the time.  Maps and directions were an issue for me this trip.  I plugged in the wrong address into mapquest before heading out on Friday.  That led to Selim and I driving back and forth along a stretch of Ocean Ave looking for the hotel that was on Ocean Street.



Later I was telling Heather the address of the hotel and I said 112 instead of 119.  My room was number 19 and that was supposed to help me.  And there was one other mistake that turned my direction giving into a running joke, or "epic fail" as my Lovey Lamb would say.  I believe it was my insistence that there was a playground on a map that I saw that turned out to be non-existent.

It is good to know that I have passed on the map gene to my child.  He collected maps with much enthusiasm.  Every time we saw one of these cute boats, he would run to see what map was part of the display that he could take.





And of course, map reading was a family activity.  Nothing says a Stevenson family adventure like a good map consultation!



Totally off subject, I also liked the street lights.  If I could figure out a way to have them in my house and not look ridiculous, I would.  I've seen house size versions in some catalog, I'm sure.


Looking back over the weekend, it is hard to believe that we packed so much eating, visiting, sight seeing, and beach walking in under 48 hours.  We had two Thai dinners. One humongous breakfast.  A delicious cafe lunch and another at a fish house that had super sweet potato fries.  The only food picture I took was Selim's mac and cheese at the cafe on Saturday.  I loved how it came in such a grown up dish -- not some plastic, kid friendly bowl.



It was great to see Dad looking so well after his latest heart procedure.  I wasn't expecting him to look frail...but I was so happy to see him so peppy.  The advances of modern medicine are amazing to me.

I look forward to our next family gathering where we can talk some more, eat, and walk off the extra calories.  I'm raising my glass of fizzy water in salute to a great weekend and my wonderful traveling companion.  May we have many more adventures together.




No comments:

Post a Comment