For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Mid-October already?

I downloaded my pictures off my camera yesterday and realized that I had a few events documented that I never wrote about.  So here is the cliff notes version of the past two months.

The last week of August Selim started 4th grade.  He got the teacher he wanted and several of his best buds are in his class.  As he said the first day of school, "This is going to be the best year ever."  It is so easy to get an eager kid out of the house and on the bus.  Although since I'm now on day shift and starting my work day at 5:30, I'm not the one usually putting him on the bus.



While Selim was starting school, Nedim was in in Turkey, enjoying a much needed 12 days back in his mother country.  Our family goal is to go next summer.  I know we have been saying that for a few years now...but we really need to make it happen.

Selim chose the Trumpet as his musical instrument of choice.  He takes lessons at school and will join the band later in the fall.  We have enjoying listening to his 15 minutes of daily practice.

Selim and I took a small hike on Blue Job.  On our way up, he practiced his karate stances on various rock formations.  The air temperature starting out was cool.  As we climbed up, we shed clothing.  On the way back down, we put it back on again.  We enjoyed the view from the fire tower.  It was nice to do something different and get a little exercise.








September brought on Jacob's birthday and a fun afternoon party with his classmates.  Nedim had brought back Fenerbahce soccer jerseys for both boys and they were a hit.



We lucked out with the weather that day.  Earlier Robert and Selim had been on a whale watch.  Heavy rain blew in just at the tail end of their adventure.  When Selim and I were in Concord with Jacob and the other party goers, we missed the tornado warnings back at the coast.  And on our drive home, the rain was always just a bit in front of us and we didn't drive home in bad weather.



Later in the month Sant Bani had its homecoming.  Selim came in third in the 1/4 mile kid fun run -- his best result ever.  The festivities also included a portable rock climbing wall brought in by Evo Rock + Fitness.  That was a hit.  Selim had been to their place in Concord before, but for some reason, he was reluctant to try it alfresco.  I think he did it just to stop my pestering form of encouragement.








October arrived and the leaves began to change color.  I've had my camera in my car, hoping that I would be in the right place to take the perfect leaf changing picture.  Alas, I've been in bumper to bumper traffic, or going too fast to stop, or on the wrong side of the highway...to get the shot of the tree, tree and water reflection, or tree and beautiful building combo.  Frustrating.  One afternoon before meeting the school bus, I did stop off by Great Bay and took a few pictures.





I liked how the leaves were half and half.  I don't remember seeing them change color like that.





After that I went to a cemetery where I have taken pictures before.  The trees hadn't fully changed color, so the pictures weren't spectacular.  Oh well.







Last Sunday, Nedim and I celebrated out 11th wedding anniversary.  We had a great Thai meal and I made him take pictures with me.





Friday, Selim turned 10.  Oh my.  Double digits.  He is the light of our lives and we can't believe how wonderful it is to be his parents.



And to cap it off the big week, Selim participated in a karate tournament yesterday.  He won a silver medal for sparring.  It was a long day, and he competed well, showed respect to the judges, and did his best.  I couldn't have asked for anything more.








And I took my best board braking picture yet.




So that is the two month recap!

No comments:

Post a Comment