For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Anniversary #12

We married twelve years ago.  We enjoyed a picture perfect New England fall weekend with family and friends.  It had only been a few months since we had left Turkey where I realized that I could marry Nedim and would be happy to return to his home country for visits, or live part-time in retirement.  We spent beautiful days in Bodrum that I consider to be our honeymoon,  even though that trip preceded our wedding.  Now when I reflect on that place, the image that pops into my mind first is of the father, cradling his dead son in the waves, having fled Syria.  The sadness in this world overwhelms me at times.

I have not found married life to be always easy, but I would not trade the past twelve years for any others in my life.  The vision on our wedding day of the life to come changed drastically two days later.  But those moments in the Satsang Hall, reciting vows that I wrote, we did feel on top of the world.  I felt lovely in the dress I wore.  My Mom and Dad were in the same room and they hugged and that brought me peace.  Life can be complicated and messy, but that day, October 12, 2003 my life was beautiful.

 The past couple of months have been particularly challenging with selling our house in Dover and buying in another school district.  I'm not so sure why this move was so difficult, but it felt like it was the worst. We have moved five times as a couple, and this time, we struggled with our communication and the execution of the move.  We have been in our new place for a month and just now I'm feeling some of the tension ease.  I haven't found my scarves or black skirts and there are boxes in every room -- but we have gotten enough done that our daily routine can go on without too much aggravation.

Today I overruled my boys and coerced them to take a walk on the beach with me.  They were the majority but I said that since I was the oldest in the house, I win.  I knew that once we were at the ocean, we would all win.  I was right.  The guys played soccer for a while.  Then Selim put on his wet suit and braved the cold water.  A walk along the tide line made up our final activity.

We ate a celebratory lunch at our favorite burrito place in Kittery and then came home.  It was a very sweet day.



No comments:

Post a Comment