For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Intersections at the PEM

I coerced/enticed Selim into going to the Peabody Essex Museum (PEM) by telling him that they had a great gift shop.  I've never been there myself, but what museum doesn't?  With reluctance, he agreed.  He is such a good sport.

First off, can I just say that diving Route 114 from Peabody to Salem is not easy.  At some points there were signs to the PEM and at other places, not.  That drive tested my navigation skills, for sure. I'm glad that I didn't get lost and that we made it there without incident.

The Museum is a great size for a kid.  It isn't so big that it is completely overwhelming.  These is a great mix of paintings, furniture, ceramics, silver, special exhibits and their focus on maritime pieces.  We went there to experience the installation called "Intersections."  It was so fun.  We moved all around the room, taking pictures of each other and selfies.  We laughed and had the space all to ourselves.  Perfect.

My favorite photo of the day


Shadows/reflections?

Selfie


While enjoying the installation, I thought about the mosaics of the Alhambra, the mosque metal work from the East End in London, my experiences in Turkey, and quilt patterns.  My mind was a jumble and happy.  We circled the room a few times, looking at the walls, ceiling, floor -- getting close up and moving farther away and loving it.

Reflections from a single bulb in the box on the right.

Floor pattern



Floor and shoe


After that, we explored the rest of the Museum.  In the Maritime room, we saw the Figureheads and played a matching game with a kids brochure that we printed out the night before.




Standing among the figureheads.


Another exhibit we really enjoyed was the Chinese silver.  In part, the floor paint was so dynamic that we kept looking down and seeing what design came next.  At the end were two large urns that Selim got up and personal with.  He sat on the floor and took several pictures with his personal electronic device.  I found it really interesting seeing what captured his attention and sparked his imagination.


Can't have too many shoe pictures.

Silver ship


Next up, the Native American Fashion exhibit, Native Fashion Now.  Wow!  Last April, while in NYC with Heather, we went to the Met's large exhibit of Native American History/Culture/Artifacts.  This was different -- all things fashion.  Selim found the porcupine quill hat/head gear/ headdress before I did.



I loved the flower parasols hanging from the ceiling.




And the beaded boots.



And these dresses.



Kimono with Native American motifs


Selim was losing a bit of steam, otherwise I would have lingered.  We took quick tours around the Japanese room and the Chinese ceramics.  The nature room smelled strongly of paint and we scooted out of that room in a hurry.  Coming out of that room, we made a quick stop at the snack bar and shared vegetarian chili, a fruit cup, and some chips.

Fortified, we descended upon the gift shop.  It did not disappoint.  He looked at everything very carefully before deciding on a multi-purpose tool that included a hammer, 2 screwdrivers, saw, wire cutter, knife, bottle opener, wrench,  and pliers.  I found a pair of earrings and two travel mugs with Native American motifs.

In just under three hours, we were done.

We looked for lions for our cousin/nephew and this was as close as we got.


And the best photo bomb of the day was the figurehead over the Queen Elizabeth

Model of the Queen Elizabeth

And I might change my laptop screen to architectural detail:



Finally, the award for the most amazing use of shells goes to:



I wanted to see the ocean and breathe in some fresh air before getting back in the car, so we took a brisk walk to the wharf.  I had hoped to see pretty boats, but they were all encased in shrink wrap/weather proofing.  Disappointing!  But, on the way back to the parking garage, we came across Stickworks, and outdoor installation.  Of course, I treated it as another photo opportunity until my phone ran out of juice and Selim was spared further posing in the cold.





The parking garage had printed out directions on how to get back to Route 114.  Yay!  We made it back to the highway without any wrong turns.  Double yay!  I love it that Selim will humor me with trips to a museum and just being with me in general.  We are a great duo and he is the best hang out companion.  I am so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment