For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Two favorites: the beach and quilting

Today has been a great day as I got to combine two of my favorite things: a beach walk and quilting.  When it is 52 degrees in February, I have to take advantage and get to the ocean.

Ships waiting to go up the river.


In the morning I spent time in the garage trying to find my embroidery floss so that I could finish up Block #4 in the Splendid Sampler project.  I appreciate the designers and that these patterns are free.  And I'm learning that applique is really not the kind of sewing that gives me much pleasure.  This block had 9 tiny circle applique flowers. I found myself talking my way through it, as in, one down only eight more to go.  Woot!  I'm too stubborn to alter the pattern to make it easier.  I want the challenge, but I don't always enjoy it.  While I didn't find my floss, I found some of the pink and gray 2 1/2 inch squares from my 1990ish place mats.

Fabric squares have held up over 25 years.


Turns out those squares were just right for today's new pattern.  Block # 5 was called Simple Simon by Celine Perkins, and it was based on a nine-patch that used 2 1/2 inch squares.  All I had to do was cut the sashing.  But why make only one block when you have at least two other color combinations that are calling your name?   And this was my kind of block -- bigger pieces, no applique, and cutting the block and adding sashing to get more interest.  I really enjoyed it.  Two out of the three blocks came out a bit wonky, but I think they are cute none the less.

Pink version of Simple Simon.


While the twice a week six-inch blocks are fun, sometimes I feel the urge to work with bigger pieces of fabric.  So I turned to another on-line sampler series, The Sugar Block Club that is a monthly block project, using 12 inch squares.  I'm using the same fabric as the 6-inch and will probably mix and match to make two quilts.  The blocks that I really like making, I am not stopping at one.  I loved the February SBC block, her take on the Log Cabin and made it twice.  And I made three Simple Simon blocks this morning.


January & February SBC blocks


I still have to go back and embroider the stems on the flowers for Block #4.  Sigh.

Six and twelve inch blocks. Need to trim top right flowers and add stems.


After I finished sewing this morning, I pried Selim away from his electronic devices and took him to the beach.  We were due for some outdoor time and picture taking.  We decided on Wallis Sands.  It doesn't have the really long walk that you can get at Jenness, but that was OK.  This was the first time that I have ever seen horses on the beach.

Horses, really?


The sign says no dogs, but doesn't say anything about horses, so I guess they are allowed?



We moved over to the other side of the rock jetty and took a walk.  Selim found great skipping stones and had success with a few.  Some were too heavy and just sank.  Others didn't catch the waves just right and got swallowed up.  We watched the ships waiting for their turn to go up the river into Portsmouth.  It was warm; we felt the sand; we laughed and enjoyed each other's company.

The one shot I got as the waves were coming in.


And I made him take pictures.



And some more.





When we got home, Nedim had returned and I insisted on a family photo as well.  Tomorrow Selim heads back to school and my week of vacation hours come to an end as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment