For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Friday, June 24, 2016

Finding my Tribe

A couple of weekends ago, I drove to Amherst to attend a trunk show with Amy Garro who blogs at 13 spools.  She has also written a book on paper piecing:


The New Hampshire Modern Quilt Guild hosted the event at the Messiah Lutheran Church.  Having left Milford in 2005 and not been back to the area until Selim's soccer tournament over this past Memorial Weekend, it sure was odd to be back on Route 101 in Amherst for the second time in less than a month.  The church was easy to find and had a beautiful, open, calm interior that was a beautiful backdrop for Amy's work.

Here are a couple of pictures, posted with her permission.  I didn't take many of the whole quilt, most are sections, focused on the quilting details.

Love the birds flying in the quilted updraft!

The small squares are the same fabric as the backing.

Bold and inspired by Navajo design.

I like the fabric choices on this one.

Book cover live and in person.

The event was satisfying on so many levels.  Her work is really interesting.  She comes at quilting from a graphic, architecture, as well as artistic background.  She spoke about the process, finding her style, and lessons learned.  Not every quilt is perfect and a finished quilt is better than an unfinished one.  Some she quilts herself and others she requests help from other quilters.  And there is no shame in that.  I loved her approach and the recounting of her journey.

Also, there were women from the Seacoast Guild that I just joined and it was fun to see them there and talk about the quilts after the presentation.  I introduced myself to a woman that I blog stalk and that was fun.  I sat in a room with other women and felt like I had found my tribe.  These are women that I will get to know, hopefully, in the months ahead.  I was happy, energized, and inspired.

I came home ready to write on my experience.   I turned on my computer and checked in on social media first.  And there I saw that Rachel had passed away after a two year battle with cancer.  The wind left my sails and there was no way I could talk about the excitement I felt on finding a new peer group when one of my friends from my original tribe had passed away.  It wasn't unexpected, however, I wasn't ready for it to be real.

But I am so grateful that we had the long conversation in the big house at Sarah's memorial this past February.  I was able to tell her that I was inspired by her courage and the way she navigated all the medical choices and options she faced.  We had a sweet conversation.  Then in May, I spoke with her on the phone as we discussed getting passports and the requirements.  Unfortunately, our paths didn't cross when she came to get her passport, but maybe there is a reason for that.  Anyway, she passed away June 12 in Mexico with her family by her side.  She leaves behind her husband and three school-aged children, extended family, and many, many friends.  She will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment