For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

No longer a 5th grader

My how the school year flew!  Hard to believe that he is no longer a 5th grader.  The last month has been a whirlwind of activity.  His class rode the train to Boston and they walked the Freedom Trail.  He came home with a musket ball necklace and an electronic device full of great photos.  I"m grateful for the parents who chaperoned the kids and walked and walked  on such a warm day.

The train on its way from Boston to points north.

Necklace and the view from Bunker Hill Monument.


He finished up Spring soccer with a weekend double header.  First up was a game with Raymond.

Pre-game pose.

Followed on Sunday by a game with Jacob's team.  That was a great game.  It was hard for the parents and grandparents to just root for our own child.  We were happy when "Lefty" scored, although it ended up being the game winner and Selim's team lost.  The boys did well and enjoyed the experience of being on the same field together.

Friend vs. Friend - both played well.


With soccer over, Selim and had a free weekend morning and we went up to Butternut Farm in the early morning and picked strawberries.  We arrived 20 minutes after they opened and got one of the few non-overflow parking spaces left.  In 40 minutes we had picked our fill.  This was the first time Selim out picked me.  He ended up with a tray weighing 8.94 to my 8.70.  He used to take fruit off my tray when he ate more than he saved.  But  I don't think that was the case this time.  I think he flat out won.

"Mom, I think I'm about done here."

We picked in both places.

I should have paid closer attention to my hair before we left.


In the field, it is easy to keep picking.  And then we brought the berries up the stairs, put them on the kitchen island, and wanted to go back to bed.  Instead, I made a tasty smoothie and then took a nap.  Over the next few days I made a couple batches of jam and washed, dried, and sliced the rest and put them in the freezer for use during the winter.

Gorgeous berries.

Now what? Smoothies!

And jam!

Last summer we didn't pick much fruit as we were in the process of packing up the house.  I look forward to blueberry season next month followed by peaches and apples.  I hope the winter was kind to the peach trees.  Last year they lost almost their whole crop.  Here's to a great fruit picking season!

No comments:

Post a Comment