For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Parenting Challenge

Selim and I had a tough day.  I'm not sure what was going on with him, but he was itching for a fight.  He didn't want to be reminded of regular manners, speaking nicely to others, using inside voice, minding me or any other basic behavior category.  It was so odd.  I didn't know how to help him.  I couldn't figure out a fitting consequence to his poor behavior.  At our lowest point this afternoon, he said, "I wish I didn't live here!"

Ouch.  I told him that I didn't think he would find a household where the people would love him as much as we do.  He could try, but I don't think he would succeed.  I wish I knew what set him off this morning so that I could avoid the trigger.  It was a painful day.  He ended up apologizing.  And I did the same, for not being able to help him deal with his anger; for not handling his testing of the limits in a way that he wanted.  Sigh.

But, this was a good weekend for sewing.  I think I got about 30 squares sewn and I have another twelve arranged.  Yesterday I felt that I needed one or two more blue fabrics to even out all the reds.  Instead of going out to purchase, I dug into my own fabric store and found some old goodies. 





I wasn't able to sew much today, but I did deal with the remaining apples from September that Selim and I picked, by making apple sauce.  I added both cinnamon and cardamon and wow, it is tasty!  We baked banana bread also.  Plus we went grocery shopping.  Prices have gone up so much.  I spent $150 today.  Yikes!  Followed up later this afternoon with the regular laundry and bed changing.  So it was a full day.

Selim let me take his picture a few times this weekend.  Yesterday he took off his shirt and curled up on the floor, under a blanket to play with his Lego's.





Today he climbed the tree in the front yard by himself for the first time.  He was really creative.  He used a stool, microphone cord, pencil, and plastic sword at one point or another in his attempt to get up there by himself.  I was very impressed with his ingenuity.





No comments:

Post a Comment