For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Golf and Grammy Bev

I don't know if I've put this down here before or not, but if I have, oh well -- I'm still thinking about it.  But when I watch golf, I think of Grammy Bev.  When I was in college, I watched golf because Grammy did and she would call me or write to me about the tournaments.  It gave us something to talk about.  She followed Greg Norman and I picked Fred Couples, just because.  When Fred won, she would send me a note the next day; enclosed would be an article on his win and often a little check, just because.  She kept a scrap book of articles from Greg Norman's win.  She wondered if she should keep it or not.  "What if someone comes into the house and finds the book?  They will think I'm a stalker!"  As if.

When Phil Mickelson joined the tour, I started rooting for him also.  He is from California and is a lefty.  A few years later, Tiger burst onto the scene.  As much as I appreciate his golf and what he has done for the game, my loyalty remained with Phil.  It sounds silly I know, as if it matters to them who I want to win or how much I cheer them on.  I don't know them personally and never will.

So today, the PGA was at Pebble Beach, another place that reminds me of Grammy.  When we would go visit her when she lived in Salinas, she would pick us up at the airport and we would drive straight over to the Monterey Peninsula and we would drive the "17 Mile Drive" and get out at the Lodge and look out over the green and out to the Pacific.  Such a beautiful view!  Then we would go into Carmel and eat somewhere and walk around the town.  It was so much fun.

Anyway, today Tiger and Phil were paired together in the last round, in the second to last group.  I decided that I wouldn't feel guilty watching TV this afternoon.  I would enjoy the spectacle.  And for the most part, I was able to.  I folded laundry, cleaned up my room, and enjoyed the game.  The fact that Phil took over the lead before he finished the front nine didn't hurt.  And even more fun for me was the fact that he smoked Tiger by 11 shots.  He put on a clinic that was fabulous.  I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon hours.  And the Pebble Beach scenery was beautiful as well.  Some day I'll get back.

So tonight I'm thinking about Grammy.  Thinking about her, as she tools around the nursing home corridors in her wheel chair, unable to see very clearly.  She can no longer read her Bible or see photos very well.  Not complaining.  Able to find joy in her days.  May I be as strong, accepting of fate, and in good humor when I am nearing 95 as she.

1 comment:

  1. You sound like you’re a golfer. If so, don’t miss the Mayakoba Golf Classic - an exciting tournament that airs Feb 22-26. It’s the only PGA TOUR event in sunny beautiful Mexico. http://bit.ly/yQqCPW

    ReplyDelete