For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hyacinths and other things

It is February and the winter of our discontent.  No snow -- no forts, shovelling, snowpeople, instamatic play stuff, nothing.  And now, the hyacinths and daffodils are poking up in the yard.  It is just wrong.  And I'm grumpy tonight.



But, I did have a culinary success this weekend.  I bought yet another cookbook on Friday.  I've had success with vegan desert books since they don't use eggs and thought I would add another to my growing collection.



Boy, am I glad I picked this one up.  I made the first chocolate cake recipe.  It is very similar to Wacky Cake, but you add the vinegar at the end.  I think that makes a difference.  I made cupcakes instead of a 9" round and they turned out really tasty.  They were moist (not code word for raw), light, and flavorful.  Then I made the raspberry frosting, non-vegan.  I didn't have the vegan shortning so I used a combination of butter and cream cheese.  But the raspberry puree in the book was an inspired addition.  It added a deep red color and a light fruit flavor.  I'm not a huge frosting fan, but this may turn me into a believer.  I still have to work on the applying frosting to cupcake tecnique as I'm lacking skill in that department.  The combination of chocolate and raspberry is a winner.  Hands down, the best cupcake I've ever made.




Karate class on Saturday was really fun.  We were practicing front and back rolls and falls.  Then we moved onto side falls.  Mrs. Hebert thought it would be easier to demonstrate if Mr. Hebert flipped her down onto the mat since it is so hard to make yourself through your leg sideways and fall without sticking your arm out to brace.  The demonstration went so well that she decided all of us should have the pleasure of getting thrown to the mat.  She was right.  It was much easier to get the right tecnique when getting tossed down.  Surprisingly, I had a lot of fun doing it.

Last weekend we were at the Ashram and on Monday, Robert, Selim, Amy, Jacob and I went skating on Hermit.  The ice wasn't great, but we found a few smooth places that made the outing worth while.  We ended up skating for an hour and twenty mintues.  Selim improved so much during the morning.  And I felt more comfortable on skates too.  I impressed Selim by going backwards, and Jacob by a fast turn.  After our exercise we went to their lake house and enjoyed a pizza lunch.







I'm changing teams and desks tomorrow at work.  I'm losing my great window which is too bad.  I'm going to a new team and that always proves interesting.  Not sure how long I will be on this team, since my supervisor to be just got a promotion at another agency.  I'm like a good luck charm for supervisors.  This will be my third who left my team to move on to bigger and better things.  I pack up my desk in the morning.  Hopefully I will be able to watch one more sunrise over the tree tops before I complete the switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment