For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Day

We have had a quiet day on the home front.  Selim never got out of his pajamas.  I didn't get out of my cozy clothes.  Nedim didn't go out because it was cold.  Selim and I did make it outside.  He worked on his snow cave and I tried to shovel and chip away at the thin layer of ice and snow on my side of the driveway.  The one thing I did not do today -- take down the Christmas tree.  I always do that on New Year's day while watching the Rose Parade.  But I didn't get to it today.  Slacker.

I did manage to do two loads of laundry and empty most of the bags that I had dumped by the tree when we came back from the Ashram on Sunday.  The presents are put away.  I emptied Selim's satchel full of clothes and put them away in the dresser.  My bag is still full and parked in the hallway.  Maybe tomorrow I will get around to that.  I'm finding it hard to imagine going back to work tomorrow afternoon.  I've rather enjoyed staying with family and not leaving for work at 2:00pm.

Last night I didn't have any resolutions.  But a few blogs that I follow have talked about embracing a word for the upcoming year.  That idea appeals to me.  I've been mulling the idea around for a few days now and have not been able to come up with just one word.  And I think that is the whole point -- to focus in on one.  Usually I'm pretty good with following rules (as many personality and career tests I've taken indicated that I should have been in the military) yet I can't hone in one a single idea.  There isn't one word has yelled above all the others "embody me above all others this year!"

The words that are going around in my head are: acceptance and action.  I guess I can be a rebel and chose two.  They sit well with me.  I will call on each of them in big doses as the year goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment