For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Inauguration Day

I started watching the Inauguration coverage as the Vice President was introduced and made his way down to the big platform area at the Capitol.  From then on, I couldn't look away.  I'm not certain what it was about this ceremony more than others, but I thought it was absolutely beautiful.

The opening prayer by Myrlie Evers-Williams -- I could listen to her speak all day.  Her voice is so deep and lush.  She was able to make the connection between this Inauguration on Martin Luther King Jr. in a way that few others could.  The President's speech was surprisingly short, I thought.  I appreciated the line paraphrased that the truths that we hold as self-evident have not been self-executing.  Here is a  link to his whole speech.  Also, the place where he was talking about the wars we have been involved in, but at the same time, he knows that peaceful engagement is a more durable way to lift suspicion and fear.  That is so true.  We saw this with super storm Sandy.  Once the NJ Governor Christie met the President, he had much different things to say about him, because he had spent time with him.  Once you engage the other in a normal human interaction, it is harder to demonize and belittle.

But the part that I found most moving was the poem by Richard Blanco.  I'm sure that reading this piece earlier in the day shaped my hearing of his poem.  I just thought it so beautiful.  The full text was reprinted in Politico along with other places.  His poem was written for the special day, on this particular anniversary with the events of our time woven in the words.  We live on one planet, underneath the same sky, breathing the same air and hearing the same sounds. And to imagine that he has been able to write such powerful poetry having endured abuse as a child is a miracle in and of itself.

Rev. Luis Leon gave the benediction.  Instead of closing only with "in Jesus' name we pray," he prefaced that with letting others pray to the One dearest, most holy to them.  What a way to bring in all the audience.  There are Americans who pray to someone other than Jesus and who love America just as much.  Combine all the inspirational words with James Taylor, Kelly Clarkson and Beyonce singing -- it was a stellar celebration of our government at its best.

Shortly after the ceremony ended, Heather and Joshua left.  Less than a 1/2 hour later, Selim and I also drove away from the Ashram.  I was so sleepy driving home.  I opened the window to let the 25 degree air inside the car.  When I grabbed my water bottle for sip, I realized that I wouldn't be drinking anything because the water froze overnight. Seeing how slapping my thighs wasn't keeping me awake either,  I went in a drive through to get a caffeinated beverage.  Once I got home and unpacked, I went into the back bedroom and promptly fell asleep.  When I woke up, I turned the TV back on and was able to watch the President and First Lady get out of their motorcade and walk down Pennsylvania Ave towards the White House.

So some year I should go to DC and be a part of the historic day.  May be there will be a woman elected president.  If so, that Inauguration will be one for the record books and not to be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment