For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Blizzard

The blizzard named Nemo is winding down now.  The weatherman said this morning that the wind and snow should start moving out by late this morning.  I'm grateful that we have not lost power yet.  We did not turn the heat down last night just in case the power went out.  Poor sleeping temperature, but it was a good precaution.  It is hard to tell how much snow we got with all the drifting.  I'm guessing between 18" and 2 feet.

The drifts were high in the front of the house and we couldn't open the front door.  Selim got all suited up and climbed out one of the windows in Babaanne's room.  He trudged his way through the backyard and around to the front to get the shovel and he dug out enough snow so that we could open the front door.






Yesterday I had put 4 shovels in front of the house so that we would have them handy when we needed them.  Last night when Selim went out and played with Teagan, 3 out of the 4 were not returned to that prime location.  At least the one remaining was the light blue big one.



I didn't last too long outside.  The wind was fierce and I was worried that my camera might freeze up. So I took a few pictures and went back inside.  I'm sure I will be outside many more time today while Nedim snow blows and Selim delights in the white stuff.

Here are a few of the morning photos.









In other news, I have been browsing through on line seed sites and placed an order earlier in the week. My little packets arrived on Thursday.  What promise is stored in those little envelopes!  I'm already dreaming of the garden and fresh kale and tomatoes.




Also arriving in the mail was a few yards of fabric.  I had bought a fat quarter of a Kaffe Fassett "map" fabric in Portsmouth the other week. How could I resist a map pattern?  The fabric was from 2010 and yet I had never seen it before.  Horrors!  And they didn't have any more.  I found a place in Memphis that still had some, so I ordered a couple of yards in two colorways.  And it was unable to resist two smaller cuts of the Kirman pattern in the grey and duckegg.



The accompanying post card had a garden theme and having the two orders arrive on the same day made me smile.


Speaking of fabric, last weekend I unearthed my sewing machine and made quite a bit of progress on my place mats.  By the time the Super Bowl was on TV, I had machine sewed on the bindings on the mats and table runner.  During the game I was able to finish the hand sewing on two of the mats.  May be this weekend I can get to the last two.



 Nedim has decided that my next projects should be a quilt for the boat and new curtains.  Get in line.  I have another set of place mats and a quilt to finish first!

No comments:

Post a Comment