For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Quilting Update

We tested out our fireplace tonight. All went well until the smoke detector began piercing beeping sounds. Turns out my hubby was experimenting with some aspect of the chimney opening and not enough smoke was going up.  Lesson learned.



I hit a milestone with my Birdbaths at Sunset quilt tonight -- I finished the individual blocks.  All 115 of them!  I'm not sure if I will piece a nine by ten, nine by eleven, nine by twelve, or a ten by eleven block top.  I don't plan on having large borders, so I have to do the math and figure out how big I want it, exactly.

The last blocks sewed up quickly.  I was very aware that they were my last four.  When I was down to the last shot-cotton corner squares, I realized that I had sixteen little seams left.  And of course, I had to document.


The final four

I'm not certain how I am going to arrange the blocks.  I have nineteen different center square patterns, five are solids.  The main colors are pink, peach, yellow, orange, and purple.  Some squares are light, or dark. Some are tonal and others high contrast.  It will take some figuring out to have an overall pleasing and cohesive quilt top.

19 different center squares

Th project has given me bags of little scraps.  Some day I will get around to organizing all those little pieces.  On the day bed in my sewing room, I have a two big zip lock bags.  One has scraps and the other has under a half yard cuts.  I've bought books on scrap quilting and I'm sure I will enjoy a scrap-based project.



Getting back to my project has made me very happy.  My most recent queen size quilts have taken two years to complete.  I'm on that pace for this one as well.  I started fabric gathering in earnest in the beginning of February, 2014.  It will be 2016 before I am sewing the binding on and am snuggling underneath.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment