For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

WIP Wednesday

This Veterans Day holiday gave me a day off from work and allowed me to sew on my work in progress.  Last Saturday I arranged all the blocks.  I finished stacking rows 10 and 11 when I realized that I hadn't taken a picture of the lay out.  So these are rows 1-9.



As I began sewing the blocks together this afternoon, I realized that my patchwork sills aren't the best.  The corners of the raspberry triangles weren't lining up exactly.  Good thing I'm not entering this into any competition.  I kept reminding myself that the joy is in playing with color and pattern and having the end product.  When it is on top of my bed, I will be relishing the warmth and overall aesthetic and will not be scrutinizing the matching points.  That said, I did my best to have the pieces line up as best I could.

The pictures today aren't the greatest.  It rained all day and I couldn't take it outside to photograph. And I didn't clean up the day bed for pretty pictures.  I finished the first row in no time.



Then I sewed row number two.  And then joined the two together.


Detail


I spend so much time gazing in between pinning blocks together.  But still, in less than three hours, I had the top four rows finished!



I'm hopeful that I can finish the top and put together the back before the end of the year.  The end of the month is going to get busy with Thanksgiving and then I go to DC for training at FSI for the first week in December.   Before I know it, I'll be writing year end evaluations for my three folks and reviewing all their appraisals for their teams.  I'll try to get those done at work so that I can concentrate on baking and getting ready for the holidays in the evening hours.

Speaking of baking, I tried a new recipe this morning for apple cider doughnuts that I found at King Arthur Flour.  I took some liberties with the recipe -- I had apple cider, not boiled cider or frozen juice concentrate and I used only all purpose flour and not the fiber.  For the glaze, I didn't have a candy thermometer, so I winged it a bit.  And I dipped them in sugar just because.  They weren't as apple cider-y as the doughnuts that I remember from Atkins harking back to my college days.  However, I enjoyed trying something other than our standby Ina Garten favorites.  Next time I might use a bit less cinnamon or use a bit more glaze.  I have enough glaze left over that I might make them for my team meeting on Friday morning.





I didn't get started sewing until the afternoon because in the morning I was surfing around all the cool quilting blogs I have discovered along with drinking tea and eating doughnuts.  There are women in my general geographic area that are doing really inspiring work.  Next year, I might want to join the NH Modern Quilt Guild.  The only issue is they meet in the evening in Nashua. There isn't a quick way to get to Nashua from here and when I'm getting up at 3:15 or 4:15 to go to work...evening activity isn't that easy for me.  Anyway...

My witching hour of 8:00 is fast approaching.  Tomorrow is back to work.

I'm going to see if I can link this up with Freshly Pieced and her WIP Wednesday blog.

4 comments:

  1. Lots of gorgeous colors in your quilt! Hope you get some time to get it to a finished flimsy stage. It's nice to have some sewing time in the middle of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove the Colors of your top - fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a darling cheerio quilt! I love the colors. It will be so fun to lay under it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job focusing on the process, not the outcome. It's beautiful, and no one's work is perfect - we just only seem to notice our own mistakes more.

    ReplyDelete