For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

3 miles and 5 pounds

When I got home on Sunday from working a few hours of OT, Selim was dressed in camo and ready to play catch.  He is getting really good with the glove.  He hid in the tree across the street to see if I could spot him.  Uh, yes.



I played hooky today.  Not in the literal sense by going AWOL from work because I put in a leave slip yesterday, but because I decided to take a day to be all by myself and not feel guilty over it.  Nedim went up to Maine yesterday for some Turkish meeting so I was going to be home later than usual to get Selim up, fed, dressed and on the school bus.  Also, I had to have blood drawn in advance of my physical next week.  So I decided to stay home all day and not go in for a 1/2 day and feel rushed all morning.  What a great decision I made.

Selim and I had a great morning.  He is so cozy first thing and it was very sweet for me to be the one getting him ready and nagging him to eat his breakfast. I got on the scale and saw a number that was encouraging.  I've lost five pounds since I started running mid-February.  Both of us were happy as the morning went along and I got him out the door on time, which can be a challenge.  Then I went to the lab for my blood work.

When I got home, I made a big cup of tea in my special swan pattern china cup from Fortnum and Mason.  I fully enjoyed not talking, listening to NPR and being on the computer without constant interruptions.  When I finished being restful, I got sewing.  I switched off the radio because I didn't want to hear any more about the Trayvon Martin shooting.  The "Stand Your Ground" law in Florida seems over the top to me and so shocking that it is acceptable in our society to shoot first with deadly consequences and not have to answer questions later.  So I put on Lion Richie's Tuskegee and sang instead.  I'm embarrassed to say how much I have been enjoying that album.  I sewed the border on a baby quilt and cut out the fabric for some place mats and a table runner.




I love working with color and patterns.  I can gaze at fabric for long stretches of time.  I think the baby quilt top came out really well.  I have a slot in with a woman who has a big quilting frame next month and she will quilt it for me.  I think I can finish off the place mats myself.  I might see if I can find a different presser foot for my machine that will make turning and free form sewing easier.

All day in the back of my mind, I had been contemplating taking a longer run today, for about 3 miles.  My best effort had been last Tuesday when I went 2.4.  For a while I was wavering and thinking that I would stay inside and keep on with the fabric.  But at 2:00 I gave myself a pet talk, got on the running gear and went out.  Today felt different.  Easier.  Stronger.  I was able to breathe better.  At every lap I was faster than yesterday.  I took 30 seconds off my time at the 4 lap mark from last week.  And then I started on my fifth lap.  I told myself that I could walk at any time, that today was just the baseline for three miles.  I ran the whole way!  After as I walked a bit to cool down, there was a landscaping truck with a trailer trying to back into a driveway.  He motioned me on and told me to go because, "I'm having difficulty."  Since I was walking at a snail pace, I replied, "So am I."  We both laughed.

This day has been just what I needed.  Tomorrow will be back to regular, and that is just fine.  And my daffodils are blooming.  Yeah!




No comments:

Post a Comment