For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dads' Day

Happy Father's Day to all the dads in my life, especially my dad, Robert and Nedim.  I am fortunate to have two great men parent me -- who love me unconditionally, want only the best for me, cheer all my success and prop me up during times of failure and heartache. 




And Nedim, the father of my child, who loves Selim with his whole heart and often tells him, "You are the best thing that ever happened to me.  You are my world."  And that is true.





It was sweet for me to see two of the three today.  I spent last night at the Ashram so I got to give Robert a father's day hug and kiss in person this morning.  For dessert last night I made strawberry rhubarb pie (the top crust looked prettier in real life), one of his favorites.  The rhubarb is from their garden, courtesy of plants from Grammy Louise, given to Mom in 1975 or 1976.  I had my slice with a generous dollop of whip cream, to honor her memory.




At noon today we met up with Nedim at a State Park west of Concord, for a picnic, organized by the Turkish Cultural Center.  I had met a few of the people at the event in Concord a month ago, so I wasn't among strangers.  I was the only woman who didn't speak Turkish, but there were enough who were bi-lingual that I could join in the conversation at sporadic intervals.  Selim played very well with a younger boy.




After the first round of food -- salad, rice pilaf and kofta/ hamburgers, the men played soccer.  It wasn't as if they deliberately left the women with the food, but only the guys crossed the road to the field to play.  Well, the guys and I.  I sat on the bench while Selim and Mohamed played ball on off to the side or climbed the fence.  We were close enough to a group from Bosnia (who were also their to picnic) to enjoy their music and Selim would dance at the lively parts.





When the game was over, it was time for food, part two and more conversation.  And then another round of soccer.  I enjoy seeing my hubby in his cultural environment, speaking his native language.  He gets so animated and happy.  We all stayed much longer than anticipated.  And since there wasn't any alcohol,  I didn't worry about designated drivers or any of the other icky stuff that comes along with sun, warm weather and too much drink.






Tomorrow is Selim's last day at school.  Summer vacation -- here he comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment