For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer is here

(This is from Friday last week...but I wanted to put in the pictures before posting.)

The heat is on!  We've had two days of upper 90's and today will be mostly the same.  The first day of hot weather reminded me of being so miserable in DC last summer.  I'm happy that I'm home and not having to navigate that city in this type of heat. 

We went to the Durham playground the other day.  We should have gotten up earlier in the morning and gone to the ocean.  Or chosen a pool.  But the timing was off.  So we went to the playground and for a while, Selim was the only kid there.  Smart people were cooling off in some body of water.  The playground equipment was hot.  He did manage to play in short bursts, with time outs in the shade in between.






In the world of sports, LeBron James and the Miami Heat beat the Oklahoma City Thunder last night to win the NBA Championships.  At least the sports chatter can stop talking about LeBron and his inability to win a ring.  He has one now and everybody can move on.  In a more interesting sports story for me, the State Department and ESPNW are joining forces with others on a mentoring program for girls and women.  How do I get on that gig? There are times when I see vacancy announcements for intersting positions within Consular Affairs that I wished I lived in DC for professional reasons.  But I can't actually imagine living in the city for real. 

Lots to do today -- shop for a birthday present for Selim's classmate before the party later on this morning, grocery shop in preparation for Heather, Stan and Joshua's arrival, take off the cat sheets on the bed, and nap.  I really need a nap.  I haven't been able to take good naps this week with Selim being home.  I'm going to have to figure out how to incorporate that while he is in the house.  The nights are too long without some mid-day shut eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment