For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Crystal City

I returned to my old stomping grounds tonight.  After class I took the shuttle to Rosslyn and then rode the Metro to Crystal City.  The last time I took a picture of the temperature, I think it was over 100 degrees.  I appreciated the cooler weather today.



I met K.Q. for dinner at the Thai restaurant by her office.  I highly recommend the Pad Tofu.  Most excellent.  It had been a while since we had seen each other.  She wasn't at our 20th MHC reunion, so that makes it at least 9 years since our last meeting.  She thought I was pregnant and when we were talking and I didn't remember that.  Turns out, I wasn't figuring the math correctly.  Upon further calculations, I think I was just pregnant with Selim -- and it would have been May 2004.  I think showed up for one meal at our 15th Reunion, and that is all.  Anyway, it was very fun to catch up and reminisce.  I can't believe that I am old enough to be anticipating my 25th college reunion next year, what gives?  Weird.

On my way back to the hotel, I made another stop at the Pentagon City Mall.  I tried on dresses.  And more dresses.  I walked around carrying one black and white polka dot dress for a bit.  The more I browsed, the more I realized that I did not need to spend $118 for a dress that I didn't love.  I put it back on the rack and left.

If the skies had been less thunder cloud looking, I would have gotten off at Arlington Cemetery and walked to the hotel.  But with my luck, I would have gotten half way in between and then the rain would have started.  In 2011 the shuttle went past it and every day I said my silent prayer for all those who have served and continue to do so.  I realized this morning as I rode the bus to class that I missed going passed the green grass and the acres of perfectly aligned markers and the Iwo Jima Memorial.  I miss that moment of conscious thought and prayer that the old route afforded me.  This weekend is Memorial Weekend and may be that is why it has been on my mind today.

Lastly, I'm glad that I was able to make it back to the Rosslyn Metro before dark.  I'm not so keen on walking around an area after dark, that I don't know very well.



Close by the hotel, I have passed by this sculpture / public art piece every day.   I haven't worn my glasses, so I wasn't sure what it was, exactly.  Tonight I decided to take a closer look.  It is a very sweet family by Boaz Vaadia made out of stone.  It appeals to me and for some reason.  The heads remind me of the shape of the sculpture/ tower/ architecture of Angkor Wat that I have seen in pictures.




OK, I need to start packing up.  I need to check out before I leave for class tomorrow morning.   I will be very happy to see my husband tomorrow night and Selim the day after.

Ugh, the Rangers just beat the Bruins in OT.  Yuck.  The Bruins could have closed out the series tonight.  They were up 3 games to 0.  Sigh.  Game 5 on Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. The "Crystal City Thai restaurant" is very good, i have got married and have a girl, i will take my family to Thai restaurant

    ReplyDelete