For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Snow!

Memorial weekend is supposed to be the official summer kick off.  Mother Nature didn't get the message.  I don't know what time it was last night or the early hours of the morning...but at some point, I woke up in complete darkness to this huge splat sound.  To me, it sounded like somebody throwing huge tomatoes at the window, or wet sand balls.  Selim mumbled, "Don't worry Mom, it is only the squirrels in the gutters."

Well, that would have been a good explanation had we been home, in a house that say, had gutters.  But we were at Mom and Robert's and their gutter and roof structure is not like ours.  Robert heard us talking and poked his head in the bedroom and said that the sound was snow falling off their metal roof and that the power had gone out.  What?  Run that by me again?

I'm not certain if it was the silence in the house, no hum of the refrigerator or any other electronic device, or the continuous loud snow sliding sounds, but I had a restless sleep after that.  Around 6:30 Selim and I got up and looked out the picture windows, to the view of the track.




Snow.  Covered in snow.  Robert said we got about 3 inches before turning to rain and melting some.  There was a big pile of snow on the porch.  I don't know what I was thinking, but I stepped out barefoot, to document.  Slush is cold!





Robert had left out trays of tomatoes and other seedlings to harden off.  In the middle of the night, he had to bring them in.  I hope they make it.



Yesterday morning, the weatherman said that the higher terrain, 2500 feet or so, might get some snow.  I guess he was off by a few thousand feet.  I didn't expect the snow so I wore my sandals over to the Ashram.  Good thing I travel with back up shoes in the car as I really needed closed toed ones today.



When the sun got a bit higher in the sky, the snow melted quickly.  But still, in the shady places, it lingered.





Speaking of yesterday...what a sweet day!  Mama Cardinal ate at the feeder and stayed long enough for me to find my camera and take her picture.



On Thursday after school, Mom took Selim back home with her.  I took the morning to rest and get reacquainted with my home.  Then, I drove over to the Ashram via Laconia so that I could pick up Selim's helmet that he left at the roller rink.  That route took me past Lake Winnipesaukee.  It has been a while since I've been past the southern tip of the big lake.  It was stormy and the surface covered in white caps.  There were a few intrepid souls who were riding jet skis, despite the weather.  They were determined to enjoy their vacation as originally planned, I guess.



I got to the Ashram around 2:00 or so.  I gave Mom the debrief of my week, getting to the granularity of it, before I went over to Amy and Jero's lake house to pick up Selim.  I hadn't paid close attention to the gas gauge in my car.  Half way there, the little gas pump light went on.  I didn't want to chance of running on empty with Selim in the car, so I had to go into New Hampton for gas.  Sigh.  I arrived at the lake just in time for an early dinner.  There were other families there -- so 12 of us seated at the table.  Being welcomed into that gathering was exactly what I needed.  It felt like balm to my bruised sense of social self.  And, having my Lovey Lamb fly into my arms after a 6-day absence was wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment