For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day

Selim and I went to Portsmouth today and walked around Prescott Park.  Every year we go and take pictures by the fountains.  When we entered the area with the three small fountains, there was white stuff everywhere.  At first glance, it looked like snow.  But no, petals from the flowering trees had fallen in massive quantities.





The rhododendron flowers at the edge of the walkway were beautiful.





The new bridge between Portsmouth and Kittery, Maine is getting installed.  The span is shiny.  I liked the green patina from the old bridge.  But I will take a safer and shiny bridge over dangerous and pretty patina any day.






As we drove into town, I noticed a wisteria tree out of the corner of my eye.  The contrast of the pink door and the purple flowers had me in a trance.





Driving out of town, we went past houses with flags, in honor of Memorial Day.






This is the day that we remember those who gave their lives in service to country.  I am grateful to those who have served and those who continue in the military and diplomatic corps today.  And at the same time, there are many other ways to serve our country and I am thankful for all that have heeded the call in their own way.

In other news, the garden has grown a lot in the past week.  It is time to thin the lettuce!



The azalea that I moved two years ago finally flowered.  My plant is weeks behind others in the neighborhood.  I was surprised to see the buds today.




And it looks like we will have some strawberries from a few volunteer plants.



I don't think I took pictures of the peas, but they are sending tendrils out to the fence.  So exciting!  The tomato seeds sprouted while I was away and the cucumber shoots grew.


I needed these days off.  After being away for a week, I am grateful to have had an extra day with my Lovey Lamb.  I treasure our walks, fountain and flower explorations, and window shopping moments.  I love it that we sing together in the car, and hold hands as we cross a street.  He has only a few more weeks of school.  Pretty soon I will be balancing more together time, with a need to nap and be parent on duty at the same time.  I'll cross that bridge some time next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment