For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Back in the garden

Selim and I worked in the garden for a while today.  First up, cleaning out the raised beds.  We hadn't pulled up all the kale stalks in October, so that was first up.  The roots were really impressive.  As I turned over the soil, Selim hacked the stalk into smaller pieces.  It was an activity he thoroughly enjoyed.

We worked well together, and it didn't take us too long to have all four beds weeded and the soiled turned over.



From there we moved to the  lower section and began clearing out by the pea fence.  I found the big leaf rake and that worked somewhat.  But I really need a smaller one for the boarder area.  As I was clearing out the area by the azalea, the rake hit upon something soft.  I looked down and this snake slithered out from under the leaves.  I jumped, screamed, dropped the rake, and ran into the house to get my camera.



When I got back outside, the snake had returned to the warm bricks of the retaining wall.





I decided to take a break for lunch.  But before we left the backyard, I snapped a picture of Selim and I.


In the front yard, two little tete-a-tete flowers bloomed.



The daffodils will pop soon.  The tulip leaves are getting bigger.  And my mother's day flowering quince has bud clusters and leaves just starting to show.




Finally, signs of life after a long winter.  And I think I am slowly coming out of my funk.  For weeks now, I had been in this work limbo -- feeling like a senior in high school.  I had been told that I would be returning to first shift in the near future, possibly May.  I got excited and started planning for and imagining a regular / normal family life.  I would help with homework on a nightly basis; we could eat dinner together; I would have a chance to sleep more than 5 1/2 hours a night.  But weeks went by and nothing else was said.  I didn't enjoy limbo and feeling adrift sent me into a tailspin.  Emotionally, I crashed.

This week I started pressing for more information.  Thursday, I got it.  I didn't hear what I wanted -- that I would be going Monday when the first of the three new supervisors join our shift.  And it won't be after he finishes his orientation in two weeks.  But I am flexible, and I can adjust.   Reality is I love the management team on second shift.  We work really well together and I have a great team as well.  If my working hours weren't so difficult for the family, it wouldn't matter so much.  The revised plan is that I will go to first shift when the following new supervisor gets his/her security clearance.  If the process is true to form, that should be three months or so.  At least now I know.   I don't have to wonder.  I can stop feeling like the vision of the life that I want is just out of reach.  I can settle back into rhythm that is difficult, but that I have managed to maintain for the past 23 months.  I might get some of the summer on day shift.  However, when Selim starts his fourth grade school year at the end of August, I should be home when he gets off the bus in the afternoon.  That is something worth celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment