For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Cloisters

Today's adventure -- the Cloisters.  We left right on schedule and arrived just a few minutes after it opened.  Parking wasn't a problem and we used our museum tickets yesterday to gain admittance.



I'm not sure how many archway pictures I took yesterday at the Bethesda Arcade, but I took even more today.  How is that possible, you might ask? I get in a trance and snap away.  I can't help myself.  I must have lived in southern France or Spain, Turkey, North Africa or Moghul India in one of my past lives.  I feel completely at home in that style of architecture. If I ever get to build my own house, it will have archways inside.








While I was taking pictures, my family had a snack...or waited by a heater vent until I finished.





Besides the structure of the building, I loved seeing the tapestries.  To see the Unicorn Tapestries in real life is special.  I think I saw other medieval tapestries in London a few summers ago.  But the unicorn is magical.  It is hard to get a good photo since you can't use a flash and the room is dark in order to preserve them.  What must it have been like to work on them, I wonder?






The stained glass was beautiful as well.




But one of the sweetest things about today was watching the nuns taking pictures of each other.  It was endearing.  I had enough sense to just observe them and keep my camera down.  One of Selim's favorite was a flamingo adorned chasuble, Italian, Venice late 15, early 16th Century.



Lastly, there were a few statues and sculptures that I liked.




The NYC family guidebook led me astray in that they said the gift shop had armor to purchase.  We didn't see any.  However, Selim got a sward and a T-shirt and seemed happy with that.




Before driving back, we walked around the outside and took even more pictures.

A view of the GW Bridge



It would be a different experience had I not been keeping an eye on my nine year old.  Don't touch...be careful...Selim!...were frequently spoken.  Had I been by myself, I could have had a more contemplative experience.  But today, it was OK that I had one eye on the art and one eye my guy.  His world view expanded with new images, art works, and architecture.

No comments:

Post a Comment