For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Feels like spring

I had to get up at O-dark hundred today so that I could be at work at 5:30 am to open the cabinets before adjudicators were allowed in the building at 6:00.  As I cruised down the empty highway, listening to Shakira at top volume, and enjoying the lack of traffic, I kept thinking that this will be my routine when I go back to first shift -- alarm going off at 4:30, keeping as many lights off in the house as possible as I shower and get dressed, tip-toeing around the kitchen getting my breakfast to go, and kissing my guys goodbye as they sleep.  And I am keeping my fingers crossed that day comes sooner rather than later.

After my shift ended at 11:30, I drove over to the marina to meet up with Selim and Nedim.  The sun was out and it felt like the first day of spring.  I pulled up to the row of boat all covered in shrink wrap or tarps.  It was hard to tell which boat was Turkish Delight.  I knew I was in the right place because I saw Nedim's truck.  Then I heard a voice calling out to me.  I looked up.



Good thing he is such a monkey...I mean good climber.



I hesitated before going up into the boat, it seemed too big and far off the ground.  But after a few minutes on deck I forgot about that aspect and enjoyed the warmth brought on by the lack of wind and greenhouse effect of the tarp.  I went from sitting up to laying down in no time.  I could have stayed and napped, but Selim had other plans.  Anticipating upcoming days in the upper 50s and lower 60s, he was on the hunt for some new shorts.



We went to the mall and had a successful stop at the Gap.  We bought one pair of shorts, sunglasses, and a beach / swim shirt.  Now I just have to find where I put the shorts from last summer that I cleverly put away for the winter and he will be all set.

In keeping with the spring theme, this afternoon we did a quick bulb check.  The daffodils have progressed from two tips partially hidden from view in the dead grass,



to multiple clumps in the past 7 days.



And the tulips by the mailbox have also sprouted up this past week, from wee red shoots to slightly furled stems.  Progress!




Lastly, Selim had another "first" this weekend.  He was invited to go see Captain America at the movie theater.  I've offered to take him to the movies before, and he has always said no.  He debated a few days before responding in the affirmative.  I guess going with four boys from school trumps the mom factor.  He said yes to his friend Aidan and had a blast.


No comments:

Post a Comment