For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter BBQ

Last night Nedim was working on the boat and called the house to ask me what I thought about having some people from the Turkish Cultural Center over for a BBQ on Sunday.  Me, looking around the house, said no thank you.  It wouldn't be a big deal he told me, the grill was in the back of the truck and the people coming would bring most of the food.  Estimated start time of the event, 1:00pm.  And then I realized he was letting me know that the event was scheduled, not actually asking me if we should host or not.

Around 9:30 this morning Nedim and Selim were taking chairs out to the backyard and getting everything organized when yesterday's snake made a reappearance.  This time, he was on the far left side of the retaining wall.  I took more pictures, even catching the pink tongue.



The snake has gone up through the wall, the head is framed by the grey rock.

It wasn't too long before the first few people started coming.  Somebody set up a computer and speakers on the porch and soon the familiar Turkish music was filling our yard.  The men set up two grills and the ladies came into the kitchen to prepare the food.  People moved from outdoors to inside easily and I had to give up the embarrassment of the messy house and just accept.  Hard for me to do.




Around 2:00 we had close to twenty people enjoying music, food, soccer, and lots of laughter.  For me, this was the nicest gathering of these types in a while.  The ladies spoke English and actually used it instead of reverting back to their native Turkish when I was in their company.  I was able to participate in conversation instead of hovering around the periphery.





We made pots and pots of tea.  And washed rounds of glasses and more glasses.



Our fried Pat got dressed up to play his bagpipes, combining his Irish heritage with that of our company.




Late in the afternoon, people started disappearing into the back bedroom or to the secluded back corner of the yard to pray.  I always find the outward, physical demonstration of prayer very moving.  And to have people so at ease that they could comfortably slip out of the action to attend to prayer and then seamlessly rejoin the group -- that is a lesson to me to be strong in my own conviction.

That reminds me of a church announcement board I saw last weekend.  I need to spend more time in prayer and remembrance.  And definitely, pray boldly is in order.



While I was not looking forward to a house full of people, I felt like I made friends today and that is a gift.  I also scored wife points by baking chocolate cake when asked, not hiding in my room, and not flipping out and then peeling out in my vehicle when the first people arrived before 10:00 when I didn't think people were coming before 1:00.  All in all, I can't complain about spending a day with my family, even if we were joined by 20 or so others.



No comments:

Post a Comment