For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

New Gup ranks

Selim and I had successful karate tests today.  I went from 9th Gup yellow belt to 8th Gup orange.  Selim went from 8th Gup orange to 7th Gup advanced orange, or as we say, orange with a stripe.  I found this test to be easier than the previous -- probably because I knew what to expect.  I didn't have the anxiety and I felt more confident in the movements.  When it came time to break the board, I did an axe kick.  It was a good one and I broke the board on the first try.  Selim broke his with a front kick.  The orange with a stripe group tried running, jumping side kicks.  Selim wished he could have tried that.  I told him that next test, he can ask for that.  Quite impressive, seeing these young kids take flying leaps to kick a board in half.








I had been sad thinking that I would be missing so many classes and getting left behind once I start my new job on second shift.  I told Mr. Hebert that pretty soon I won't be able to attend night classes.  He told me that most weeks he has a lunch time class with just a few folks and that I would be welcome to join.  What a nice surprise!  One less thing I have to give up once I start second shift.

I'm parent on duty this weekend while Nedim is in NY.  There was a Turkish parade today and he wanted to go.  He ended up riding the parade route in a cart, handing/tossing out T-shirts.  He said he had fun.  Oh really, what a surprise, my hubby in the center of the action, speaking his native language and having a good time.  I am not surprised.  I'm glad that he is enjoying himself.  His life will change as well once I switch shifts and then it always possible to accommodate these adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment