For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

East London

Enough lounging in the hotel room in the morning!  Not starting work until 11:00 has been a challenge for me.  Last night I decided that I would get up early and explore the second half of the last mascot walk.  I was going through statuary withdrawal but didn't want to commit to finding the remaining 15 before work today.   So half today and the other on Sunday after the men's marathon.

I walked over to Regent Street and caught the #15 bus to Aldgate Station.  Right by the tube stop was the Punk Mandeville.  I'm not sure how many tourists are there usually that early in the morning snapping photos, but all the brisk walking business men and women were giving me odd looks.




Just across the street I saw Cockney Wenlock.





I walked down Fenchurch Street a ways before coming across the Contemplative Mandeville.  I was in the same courtyard as the sculpture and poetry piece about the slave trade that I learned about last year on a London Walk. 




After a few blocks I took a right, going north, on Lime Street and into Leadenhall Market.  It used to be an old Roman market and the morning light made it very beautiful.  In the first section I found the Londinium Wenlock.





And a bit ahead on the right was the Leadenhall Market Wenlock.





Coming out of the Market, the Lloyd's building is right there.  I will have do do a whole separate entry on that building.  It is amazing.  I love it.  Across the street is the Business Mandeville.





Crossing the street in a plaza was the Splashy Mandeville.



At the next intersection is the 30 St Mary Axe or the Gherkin.  The contrast of modern and old architecture is most apparent with that group of buildings.  I took so many pictures of that building, its reflection in other buildings, the differenct in styles...again, another posting may be in the offing.



I made my way through an alley to Bishopsgate and walked north a block or two until I came to the Bishopsgate Wenlock.  The landscaping around the churchyard is beautiful, as was the light at the top of the gate.





Just as I was walking in the garden, it started to sprinkle.  Perfect timing because I had found all the mascots that I had wanted.  I walked back a block and took bus #8 to Oxford Circus.  I had time to walk back to the hotel and rest for 15 minutes before heading off to work.

It was a great morning.  Looking at the beautiful and interesting buildings gave me a lift.  I was happy and glad that I did this walk on a week day.  Foot traffic might be less professional on a weekend and I felt safe ducking into alley ways, since so many other people were on their way to work and doing the same. 

1 comment: