For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Marathon

I rode the tube this morning from Green Park Station down to Victoria where I switched lines and rode out to Tower Hill.  My destination, a good spot on the womens' marathon route.  I found a spot right before the U-turn outside the tube stop and sat down on my rain coat.  I bought a paper to read since it was 9:30 and the race didn't start until 11:00.  Good thing I was prepared for all weather.  Around 10:00 it started to sprinkle.  By 10:30 it was pouring.  I balanced my bag on the back side of the barrier railing, stood up and put on my rain slicker, opened my umbrella and debated my options. 



I had a great place.  The three ladies to my left were a hoot.  One of them had been to the games in Athens and the flag that she had draped on her back was not water resistant.  Slowly her white shirt was turning into its own Union Jack.  Much colorful language ensued.  The guy to my right was getting more and more irritated by the lady from Ireland who was squeezing in between us and the water coming off her poncho was running right into his shoes.  He kept asking her not to press so close, but she was paying him no mind.

The good thing was that I was able to keep my bag with my zoom lens, maps, sweater, notebook, newspaper, wallet and cell phone relatively dry.  I had my camera around my neck and tucked into my rain slicker.  I decided to stay for the first lap, at least.  I was at mile marker 6, 14, and 22.  The Japanese were out in force.  I appreciated seeing all the support for women runners.



I even got a high five from the police on a motorcycle.



Around 11:30 the runners came by.  Even though they were slower than cyclists, it was hard to figure out who was who in the lead group.  With all the umbrellas, flags and big rain ponchos in the way, the only good view was straight ahead. 




I was so inspired by these women, especially from countries where life cannot be easy, Myanmar and Timor-Leste were two in particular.  Since it the rain hadn't stopped many people left and didn't stick out waiting another 40 minutes for the runners to come back.  I didn't want to be a fair weather supporter, so I stayed.  I didn't have to wait the full 40 minutes before the rain let up.





On the second lap, the lead group had spread out considerably.  I really wanted a picture of the timing truck because it had a great set up in back for the photographers.  Even though I knew it was coming in advance of the runners, I couldn't get a good shot of the back.







Since I had stayed for the first two laps, it seemed silly to leave -- so I stuck it out for the third.  At some point, the sun came out and we were steaming in our rain soaked clothes.  On the third lap, the lead group was down to four.




The USA runners were just off the pack.  It took the first two laps to realize who they were.  They finished in 10th and 11th place.





The runners were not so clumped together on the last lap.  It was taking many minutes for them to go by, instead of just one or two. When the sky grew dark and rain was imminent, I folded before the last woman ran by.  I opted not to make it another long walking day.  I rode the tube back to Green Park Station.  When I got out it was pouring again.  I ducked into a Mark and Spencer food shop and bought lunch.  I brought that back to the hotel room, ate and then napped.  I woke up to hear the results that Murray beat Federer in straight sets for the gold.  I may have to rethink my buying all the stamps from the gold medal winners.  Yesterday was a banner day and today team GB had added sailing and tennis to their winning circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment