For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Monday, October 24, 2011

An overnight

Some disjointed thoughts on a Monday evening.  Selim is asleep in his own bed (yeah!), Nedim is dozing at the computer and I'm watching the World Series, game 5 in the bedroom.  St. Louis leads the Texas Rangers 2-0 in the second inning...

After karate on Saturday, Selim and I went to the Ashram for an overnight.  The hour and 20 minute drive is more interesting for me, now that he stays awake for more and more of the drive.  Occasionally we will pass by a house or a business and he will tell me that he has never seen it before.  He might not have, as he used to be asleep for the duration of the journey.  On Saturday, he fell asleep at the Tilton exit with only 15 minutes to go. 

Nedim and I bought him a hand-held computer game device for his birthday.  I said he could bring it over to show Grampy and Jacob, but that he couldn't spend time playing with it during play time with Jacob.  Game playing isn't intuitive for me and it wasn't for Robert either.  He kept asking Selim how he knew what to do?  There aren't any instructions.  I'm not curious enough to try it out, yet.  Selim did enjoy the audiences while showing it off.








Selim and Jacob carved pumpkins together.  They had fun getting out the slimy pumpkin pulp and seeds.  Even though they kept saying how gross it was, they had huge smiles on their faces.  We roasted the seeds on Sunday and they were tasty.  Halloween in this weekend.  I think this will be the first one that we experience at home.  We won't be going back over to do Osgood road on Monday night.  It is a school night and just too much to go back over.  Since Selim now knows more kids in our neighborhood, I think he will have fun going to the houses that he knows.








Sunday morning Robert had made a treasure hunt for Selim.  He had hid the light saber and left notes that Selim read (yeah!) that sent him all over the house trying to find what had happened to his stuffed animal friends and his light saber.  Turns out a ghost had been holding them hostage and was trying to leave the building when the friends hopped on the like-a-bike and light sabered him (if that is a term).  It is so sweet that every morning we have ever spent with Mom and Robert, they have created a tableau involving Selim's friends.  He wakes up and immediately asks what the friends are doing.  He has wandered out to the living room to find the friends looking through microscopes, reading, hiding -- just doing fun things.  Lately, to encourage Selim's reading, and because Selim loves treasure maps, clues are part of the deal.




Nedim and I were talking about community last week and I told him that even though I love my job, our house and living near the ocean -- my community is the Ashram and the School.  My roots connect me to that 200 acre site and the people that live there, went to school and remain connected to one or the other institutions.  I want to get back.  I want Selim to go to school there.  I can't see how to make it work right this moment, but I hope we can down the road.

I thought while I was up there that I would be able to take pretty foliage pictures.  Most of the brilliant red leaves have fallen and now the brown oaks are at their peak.  I had thought that I would be able to pull over to the side of the road if I found a great tree, but it didn't work out that way.  Either traffic was moving too fast for me to pull over and take the photo, or the shoulder wasn't wide enough for me to get over and feel safe getting out of the car.  The foliage season at the coast has been odd.  The big maple tree in our yard has dropped most of the leaves before they turned color.  It has not been the best year for leaf peeping.








No comments:

Post a Comment