For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Snow!

Yesterday in preparation for the nor'easter we expected, Selim and I spent time in the backyard and in the front, raking up leaves.  We filled 4 1/2 big bags. I forgot what a work out that can be.  Turns out it was a good thing that we didn't procrastinate until after Selim's classmate's birthday party, because it was snowing as we biked/ran home.








The forecast was for a trace to 6" and I think we got between 4-5.  Some areas of the state saw way more.  Mom thought they got about 14".  Selim wanted to go out before bed and just be in the snow; he was that excited.






Since widespread power outages were a possibility, we kept our heat on last night.  That made for a poor night of sleeping for me.  I went out to the couch around 5:00am and turned on the TV to find out the USC had lost in triple overtime to Stanford. Boo.  Selim came out at 6:00 and wanted to start shoveling immediately.  I held him off until 6:30.  It was still dark when we were out on the driveway, moving snow.  Ridiculous, but he was happy.







I had hoped that I could spend more time today in my quest to rid my house of crap.  I cleaned out one corner, but instead I spend more time outside while my boy played in the snow.  Also I made banana and French breads, lasagna, and did five loads of laundry.  Chores won out over declutter.  Oh well.

I don't mind the snow, but Selim loves it.  He was so disappointed this afternoon when the sun came out and the temperature rose to about 50 and it started melting.  He asked me if it was going to snow tomorrow.  For me, I like the winter because I can get him outside playing or shoveling.  He will move snow from one side of the driveway to another.  In the fall, when it is cold and the ground is bare, it is hard to get him out in the fresh air.  So I didn't mind hanging out on the front step, with my face in the sun, as he made big snowballs and rolled them down the street.  Declutter can wait for another day.





No comments:

Post a Comment