For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Saturday

This morning while I was packing for an overnight at Mom's, I asked Selim if he wanted to go to karate before we hit the road.  He countered with, "Do you want to go?"  And the truth was, I didn't.  I hadn't gone to either of the lunch time classes on Tuesday or Thursday.  I wasn't eager to go back.  Looking at the clock, we had about eight minutes to finish packing, brush teeth, put on our uniforms, get our gear in the car and leave.  As much as I didn't want to attend class, I didn't want Selim to miss because of my reluctance.  So I told him that I would go to class if he wanted.  He said yes.

We got to class a minute late.  We took our places in the back of the room.  Mr Hebert asked Selim if he had fun at the tournament.  Selim said yes.  Then he asked me if I had fun.  I didn't want to answer the question.  After another prod, I said no and that I would be willing to talk about it later.  Later turned out to be the near the end of class.  We went back to the office and I relayed my experience.  He listened well, and gave me the encouragement I needed to keep showing up.  I think my awkward feelings have passed, mostly. 

The drive to the Ashram was uneventful.  In the afternoon, we went down to Ship and Judith's for a surprise birthday party.  Mira had flown up from Tennessee and surprised her mom.  It was a very sweet gathering.  The invitation was to show up anytime after 2:00.  Selim and I got there at 2:30 and there were lots of folks already there.   I love parties where you can move from one conversation group to another and the talk is meaningful and varied in topic.  Selim and Jacob played on the DS at the kitchen table while us adults conversed.  It is so nice that he is of an age where he can be independent; or rather I can have some independence, even when we are together.

Mom and I were the last to leave.  It was so sweet to spend the last few minutes having the four of us ladies chat.  We've been friends for 37 years.  We haven't always lived in the same area, but we have woven our friendship into the fabric of our lives for a long time.  A rich and treasured friendship is rare and something to cherish and nurture. 



No comments:

Post a Comment