For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pre-Thanksgiving

I think the menu is all set for Thursday.  Mom and Robert, Eddie and Pauline will be coming over for dinner.  I bought food to make the baked brie appetizer, chestnut soup, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, roasted root veggies, green beans, nut loaf, gravy, mac and cheese.  For dessert we will have pumpkin pie and some sort of cheese cake.  I have spiced cider on hand and might make chai.  Tomorrow I'll start preparing and make the cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie, at least.

Even though yesterday was my eight hour day and I left at 11:00, I didn't have the best sleep last night.  Probably I drank too much high test coffee.  I didn't have the time at Dunkin Donuts for them to brew a fresh pot of decaf, so my medium was straight up caffeinated.  And Selim woke up around 1:00 coughing and blowing his nose.  I got up to get him more tissues and cough syrup.  Neither of us fell back asleep right away.

So this morning, I felt tired.  I got Selim out the door and to the school bus on time.  It was cold.  The frost was so thick that Selim asked if it had snowed last night.  After waving good bye to him, I went back home to drop off my jacket.  I went into the kitchen to look at my training plan to double check that the distance for today's run was indeed, four miles.  I stared at that plan that is held on to the refrigerator with tons of magnets, wishing that the check mark would magically appear on the workout square for today.  If I kept looking long enough, may be my legs would run of their own accord.

But no.  I grabbed some tissues and stuck them in the top part of my gloves (the part that turns them into mittens when pulled over the hand), pulled my ponytail through the intended hole in my new hat (love it!) and went back outside. 




The sun sparkled off the frost on the grass; geese honked as they flew up out of the reeds; and my feet went slap, slap, slap on the pavement.  As I went along, I was thinking / hearing Selim sing "you spin me 'round 'round baby, 'round 'round like a record player, 'round 'round..." in his best Alvin the Chipmunk voice.  That made me smile and keep going.  Luckily by the end of the run that snippet was not playing in my head any longer and my mind had emptied out and I was enjoying the landscape around me.  I heard my breath, was grateful for the strength of my lungs and legs, and found the rhythm of my feet to be pretty solid.

I came home in a time of 48.08 or 12.02 minute miles, my best time over four miles.  Not bad for a cold morning when I was so tired at the outset.



No comments:

Post a Comment