For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving


Happy Thanksgiving.  Selim made great decorations for the holiday.  We have a new door picture, plus a table Turkey and a poster of things that he is grateful for.





We had a sweet day.  Yesterday I made the pumpkin pie, cheesecake, nut loaf and cranberry sauce.  That made the cooking today pretty simple.  At an easy pace I made a corn casserole, stuffing, roasted red and white sweet potatoes, macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes, green beans, and gravy.  We were going to be joined by Eddie and Pauline, but she wasn't feeling well, so it was just family.






While I was cooking, Robert took Selim to the coast for a bird watch.  They saw loons, a long-tailed duck, seagulls, sparrows, finches, divers, and others.  Selim picked up a crab shell, piece of an old pipe, and a box full of rocks.  They had a grand adventure.

We sat down to eat just after 2:00.  The first thing I do is misjudge the size of the bowl of mashed potatoes and when setting it back down on the table, knock over Nedim's glass of sparkling cider.  Once that mess was cleaned up, we got down to serious eating.



After the main meal, Selim and Robert went out to play catch with the football in the newly paved street.  Mom and I cleaned up and then put dessert on the table.  When I went out to inform them we were eating the sweets, they had moved on to playing street tennis.  Selim is going to sleep well tonight.  The pumpkin pie was great and the big bowl of whipped cream only enhanced.




So now the house is quiet.  Selim went back to the Ashram and Nedim and I are home together.  We figured he would have more fun there since I have to go in to work tomorrow. The house feels empty, like a deflated balloon.  I am missing his constant narration of regular life. 

I have so much to be grateful for this year: the health of my family, a job I love, friends that give me a sense of community and support, and my running project.  My life is full of love, grace and laughter.  I am so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment