For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Boats

Last night as I was driving over a bridge to go to James Island, I noticed that there was another Marriott right on the water.  I had an idea that they might let me park in their lot and explore down by the water a bit if I could show them my parking sticker.  Oh, but why was I going to James Island?  To have dinner at the Mustard Seed.  One of the trainers had recommended it after I told her of my vegetarian diet.  It isn't a vegetarian restaurant, per se, but they did have many options.  And Oh. My. Word.  I had one of the best meals.  Ever.  If licking the plate clean had been a polite option, I would have been slurping that pasta bowl like no body's business.  The meal of the year was a sweet potato filled ravioli in a garlic cream sauce with baby spinach, nuts and Gorgonzola crumbles and a reduced balsamic sauce that they had on the side.  And did I mention with sun-dried tomato bread that came with?  It may sound like an odd combination, but it was Nirvana on a plate.  I had left my camera in the car (amazing, that it isn't permanently attached, I know) otherwise, there would be a picture of the meal instead of my receipt and the outside of the building.




So this morning, I was out of the hotel at 7:18 and on my way to the the water.  I parked in the hotel parking lot and nobody said a word.  I walked through the courtyard and on to the concrete sea wall and stopped a the No Trespassing sign.  The early morning light was soft and the water still which made for nice picture taking.  







I especially liked the reflections on the water.





As a side note, I took a boat picture on the other side of the city on Sunday.  It sounded as if they were shooting off cannons -- huge booms and lots of smoke.



This morning, I also realized that I made a good choice in my hotel because it would be harder to walk around outside that hotel as it is in a busy high way area.  And noisy to boot.

Today's training was very interesting.  We had a guy from HR/ ER give us a presentation.  It took me about 5 minutes before I could place his face.  Turns out we were in the same ConGen class in DC in 2011.  This was not a venue where I was expecting to see anybody from that class.  The morning flew by -- the information was excellent and the question and answer period was very helpful.

Tonight's activity was trying to find a souvenir, or two.  I walked through the City Market building and managed to accomplish that goal.  I might have to stop in the airport gift shop as well, since I didn't find the usual key chains and lapel pins that I often bring home.  I did have fun window browsing in the high end shops on King street on my way back to the hotel.  This area isn't a particularly cheap place to shop.  I'm glad that nothing uber expensive has jumped out at me, other than a charm bracelet made up of charms of the "Doors of Charleston" in the historical preservation shop that was $360 if I read the tag correctly.  I passed and settled for the little tray shaped in a tea pot that you put your used tea bag on -- that was decorated with the houses of Rainbow Row that was $3.  And I found some postcards of building that I have seen, that I may or may not have time to send out.


No comments:

Post a Comment