For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Food

I haven't been faithful to my running program this week, mostly because the blisters on my right foot hurt so much that I wearing shoes with backs is painful.  Couple little cardio with eating like a pig -- and I had to try on my jeans this morning just to make sure they still fit.  If they didn't then I would have to rearrange my wardrobe choices for these last two days.  Luckily, I can wear them tomorrow on casual dress Friday.

Eating like a pig is not totally accurate.  Every morning I have a yogurt, granola and strawberry "parfait" from the hotel for breakfast.  Then I don't eat again until lunch -- a salad or sandwich.  I have had a small bag of almonds for an afternoon snack and a bit of chocolate.  And then I eat a delicious dinner where I don't think about the butter, cheese and otherwise fatty calories that I am ingesting.

Sunday I went to Joe's pasta and had their baked ziti.  That was good -- lots of ricotta along with the marinara sauce.



Monday I went Italian again and a slightly more upscale place.  There, the waitress was a vegetarian and steered me away from the basil pesto and recommended the vegetable lasagna.  She was spot on with her recommendation.  The lasagna was a layers of pasta filled with zucchini, onions, some winter squash, garlic, cheese and tomato sauce.  And repeated.  It was filling but not heavy.  I was a good girl and finished my plate.



Tuesday was the Mustard Seed as I've written about.  Last night was pizza at Monza for wood-fire, oven baked, thin, papery thin crusted pizza.  The dough was topped with a light tomato sauce and slabs of mozzarella cheese and basil leaves.



As I walked down the street back to the hotel, I passed a cupcake place.  I went in and discovered that they had vegan cupcakes.  Woo-hoo!



For my last extravagant dinner tonight, I went to Basil, a Thai place.  One of the trainers recommended it so I went in last night.  But the prices seemed steep so I left.  But today I got an email from a colleague whose recommendations never disappoint and he said that was his favorite Thai place.  I went back tonight and I am so glad I did.  I ate the masaman curry with tofu.  The peanut sauce was mild, even though I could see the red pepper flakes.  It was a gentle heat as opposed to the kind that makes me grab my water and chug as fast as I can to put out the burning sensation.  The potatoes were cooked through but not mushy.  The cashews added a nice crunch.  And I wondered if the onions might have been Vidalia as they were sweeter than usual.  The tofu had been fried so that the exterior was a bit crusted and the inside soft.  It was worth the $15.50 price tag.  Plus, the presentation was excellent.  How cute is the covered rice pot?




Since I passed by the cupcake place again, what was I to do but see what other flavor I could try?



For lunch today, the class and our two trainers went out for Mexican.  I would have passed the place by had I been on my own.  But we all know that looks can be deceiving.  They had the best chips.  And they served their salsa in beaker-like containers that you could empty into cute little bowls.  My enchiladas were tasty and it was nice to sit back and get to know the other people a bit better on a personal level.



While I haven't been able to explore the city's historical sites due to the lack of daylight during my free time,  I have taken full advantage of the culinary delights.  I am not going to get on the scale as soon as I get home. I'll have to run for miles and miles before I get on and look at the number.

No comments:

Post a Comment