For years I kept journals -- in composition, spiral bound, and French graph paper books. This blog is an attempt to get back to writing and documenting the world around me using photos, newspaper headlines, and other articles.

Friday, December 21, 2012

Stormy

The weather outside is frightful, but the something is so delightful...let is rain, let it rain, let it rain.  Oh my it is gusty and wet out there.  Mom and Robert have a few fresh inches of snow, but we are getting rain down here.  I'm not feeling the excitement for going out of the house later on, especially for any park and shop before work.

Today is my last day of work for this year.  I'm taking leave from Monday until after New Years.  Selim  has those days off for school so I am taking them off as well.  Since I see him for 1 hour a day during the week, I thought it would be nice to be home the same days.  On Wednesday, his classroom had their holiday party.  He made the cutest ornaments.  For one, he put white paint on his hand and then held a green globe ornament.  When the paint dried, his fingerprints looked like snowmen, so he decorated them.  It is the sweetest dang thing.




The reindeer candy cane is fun.  Love the googly eyes!



I forgot to ask him what the ornaments on the tree are made out of; they look like erasers.



The last one, a cross made out of Popsicle sticks.



Switching subjects... about Nedim's mouth.  On Wednesday while Selim was making cool ornaments, Nedim had his remaining teeth removed.  He has had such mouth pain for over a year now and he had reached his limit.  A few weeks ago, he pulled out a tooth with a pair of pliers.  When he told me, I almost vomited.  Clearly, he had to move forward with getting new teeth.  The first night I was prepared for the blood.  But last night, I wasn't.

I got home at the regular 12:20 am to find Selim asleep on the day bed and Nedim on the couch.  The lights from the Christmas tree and TV made it bright enough for me to see a trickle of blood running out of his mouth and down his neck.  I freaked out.  For a moment I thought he must be dead.  When I touched his forehead, he was hot.  Then I thought he must be dying of an infection.  What to do?  I ran a washcloth under warm water and cleaned up his face.  He stirred and I asked him if he needed to go to the hospital.  He said he was OK and that he wanted to sleep.  I had the phone right by the couch in case I needed to call 911.

I put Selim in bed and then I couldn't sleep.  My engine was revving at full bore.  If I didn't hear a snore or movement from the living room,  I would go back out and check on him.  It was a bad night for me.  But when he woke up today he felt pretty good.  Not only is he dealing with mouth pain, but he is going through nicotine withdrawal.  He couldn't smoke for 24 hours after the surgery and he has decided to use this occasion to jump start quitting smoking.  He made it through the first 24 hours and has carried on.  He is a little bit grumpy pants, but that is to be expected.   I'm amazed at his good humor considering the trauma his body is going through.

So here he is with his swollen face and new teeth.


So handsome!

No comments:

Post a Comment